36+ Russian GNW Flags now available

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

36+ Russian GNW Flags now available

Post by barr7430 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Clarence has pulled yet another rabbit out of the hat and created 12 sheets of Russian flags each with 6 flags per sheet. Rather than carry regimental names these sheets are colour themed with 3 shades of the same colour on each sheet plus 3 colonels colours carrying an outlined eagle on white.

The colours are: blue 1, blue 2, grey, green 1, green 2, crimson. blue-green, orange, violet, red, brown, yellow. Shade differences are distinctive. Hope to have them in the shop tonight and pictures soon.

Well done MrH!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Re: 36+ Russian GNW Flags now available

Post by Russian James » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:02 pm

I didn't realise the eagle was only outlined... Others look superb, as always!
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 pm

The references I had for the colonels' flags were white or silver eagles on white fields... I thought that was strange. Making large areas or simple shapes look metallic is easy, but trying to make something as complex as the eagle look metallic at this scale simply ends up obscuring the details. I struggled with this for a while and decided to keep it simple. They show up fine on the full sized flags...
Tacitus
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Tacitus » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:02 pm

quindia wrote:The references I had for the colonels' flags were white or silver eagles on white fields... I thought that was strange. Making large areas or simple shapes look metallic is easy, but trying to make something as complex as the eagle look metallic at this scale simply ends up obscuring the details. I struggled with this for a while and decided to keep it simple. They show up fine on the full sized flags...
I also think that is strange. All colours with Russian eagles in the Swedish trophy collection have them brown:

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/search?que ... +fana&js=1

One of many examples:

quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Working on fixing this. In all of the original photos I have everything on the flag looks a dingy shade of grey and the text did not mention a color. I also have one photo with the eagle as a simple blue outline on a white field that definitely has no color in it.

Anyway, there will be changes in a few days depicting a darker eagle...
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:46 pm

quindia wrote:Working on fixing this. In all of the original photos I have everything on the flag looks a dingy shade of grey and the text did not mention a color. I also have one photo with the eagle as a simple blue outline on a white field that definitely has no color in it.

Anyway, there will be changes in a few days depicting a darker eagle...
Clarence,

maye that this will shed some light on the matter:

New infantry regiments raised in 1700 received colours of a new pattern. Each had one white regimental color with black or brown eagle in colonel's company and colored colours in the other companies. The sixteen regiments raised in Moscow had company's colours in ten different colors: red, green, gray, brown, dark brown, light blue, dark blue, violet, yellow, sand. Company colours were decorated with an arm holding a sword issuing from a cloud surrounded by a golden chain at the bottom of which was a St. Andrew medallion. On either side of the golden chain was a palm branch. All of these colours were made in the flag works in Moscow.

Hope that helps
Günter
Last edited by Friedrich August I. on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Russian James
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Russian James » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Sorry to be negative again, but my other comment would that I've seen yellow, red and green palm branches on the company colours but not white in any of my references...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 pm

YUP.. looks like a bit of fine tuning needed. Clarence is discussing with Dan Schorr too so all feedbCK welcome. We'll hold fire selling them until all corrections are made.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:39 pm

I would also suggest to read this post:
http://rusmilhist.blogspot.com/2012/01/ ... .html#more
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:20 pm

The existing palm fronds are actually pale green, yellow, and grey, not white, but that's hard to see in the shop thumbnails. Owing to the fact that we only know about a dozen company colors before 1712 (according to The Great Northern War 1700-1721, II. - Sweden's allies and enemies Colours and Uniforms), I was trying to keep these fairly generic.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:56 pm

The Swedish trophy collection contain a lot more than the twelve m/1700 company colours illustrated in Höglund's book. I stopped counting when I reached a hundred (with several pages left to check).

http://www.digitaltmuseum.se/search?que ... t=1&page=1

The colours on the palm branches appear to me to have been silver grey, golden yellow or a natural green. Many of them look blue-ish but that may have been the result of fading. I did not find any palm branches that looked like they had been red.

It is not easy to tell however whether they were white/grey originally or have a faded yellow colour. This company colour appear to me to have had yellow palm branches originally:

While this look like it always have been white/grey:

maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:11 pm

The Swedish trophy collection contain a lot more than the twelve m/1700 company colours illustrated in Höglund's book. I stopped counting when I reached a hundred (with several pages left to check).
To show some of them:
Attachments
ams 02.jpg
ams 02.jpg (219.5 KiB) Viewed 11270 times
ams 01.jpg
ams 01.jpg (142.52 KiB) Viewed 11270 times
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I didn't mean we only knew a dozen flags, but that we only were able to match about a dozen units to the color of flag they carried and that was according to Hoglund's most recent book. The photos are great, but everything is sort of a shade of brown and not much help identifying what the accurate colors might have been.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:21 am

Using the Google "Translate" Toolbar, does the following page help at all? http://www.vexillographia.ru/russia/rarmy005.htm
Bryce