Swedish grenadiers during the Scanian War?

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Swedish grenadiers during the Scanian War?

Post by Charlie Dozen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:00 pm

I'm busy working on my Scanian War project and can't seem to find any information regarding grenadiers in the Swedish infantry regiments. Based on the information that I do have the Danes introduced grenadiers in either 1675 or 1676, does anyone here have information regarding the Swedes?
Thanks
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Swedish grenadiers during the Scanian War?

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:10 pm

According to Tacitus' website, grenadiers were introduced in the Swedish army in 1684.

http://www.tacitus.nu/karoliner/grenadjarer/svenska.htm
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charlie Dozen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks for that link. It's in Swedish however and even though both my father's parents emigrated from Sweden in the 1890's I don't speak or read Swedish. When I click on the English flag it takes me to the map site rather that translating the page to English - any suggestions?
Thanks
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Google should have a "Trnaslate" button (at least it does non my computer at work) that you can press to translate it into English. The translation is very good.
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charlie Dozen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:14 pm

After I posted that last post I remembered that when you click print on my daughter's printer you can then click on "translate into English", so I did and I was able to print the four pages in English.
Thanks for responding though. So no Swedish grenadiers until 1684 but apparently the Danes do have them in each regiment and/or battalion.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 pm

True about the Danes. IIRC, the colors of their uniforms did not always match those of the pikemen and musketeers. Perhaps someone can chime in on this.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:17 pm

I think that's correct. At the start of the war at least, Grenadiers wore different coloured coats, often grey. There's a good pdf from the old Northern Wars site on the Danes, I'll see if I can locate it.
Clibinarium
Major
Major

Post by Clibinarium » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:24 pm

I was going to link to the pdf through the Wayback machine, but that won't work any more. I seem to remember the site's owner asking for it to be removed from the archive. I hope he won't mind me quoting the grenadier section here.

Grenadiers: Appear to have been uniformed differently from the rest of the regiment, at least
initially, usually in gray coats faced red or blue. They seem to have worn the normal hat, but they
could also have worn a special cap, possibly in the form of a spidshue, which was like a nightcap
with a tassel. Caps of this type are known to have been worn by the Kongens Livregiment and
Dronningens Livregiment. Because of their "elite" status, they may have had shoulder ribbons,
aprils.
Charlie Dozen
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Charlie Dozen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:38 pm

Yes I have the 18 pages of information, Danish Infantry 1675-79 from megalink.net, I was able to access that back in 2003. If I might ask does anyone here know what happened to all that information that Dan Schorr had on the internet, is it simply not available any longer?
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Dfogleman2 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:24 pm

Charlie Dozen wrote:Yes I have the 18 pages of information, Danish Infantry 1675-79 from megalink.net, I was able to access that back in 2003. If I might ask does anyone here know what happened to all that information that Dan Schorr had on the internet, is it simply not available any longer?
Dan closed his website several years ago. :( You could still find it on the Wayback Machine for a while, but I think he asked that it be removed. He often posts here and you might try asking him for specific information. He has always been more than helpful to me in the past.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:32 pm

Dan has always been more than generous sharing his research with and I am extremely grateful to him for time and effort.
I'm sure if you ask him some specific questions he would be prepared to help.
Cheers
Dave