Opponents for the Swedes

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
tremanning98106

Opponents for the Swedes

Post by tremanning98106 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 am

Now that I am wandering into gaming the GNW, I am pondering who to paint as cannon fodder I mean opponents. A Russian contingent is obvious-the recent photos look lovely. It seems that some units of streltsi and feudal horse saw at least limited battlefield action. Did the strelsti still carry their trademark matchlocks with berdische axes? I'd also like to include a Saxon contingent. Do you learned gentlemen have suggestions for figures?
Many thanks for suggestions.
Dfogleman2
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Opponents for the Swedes

Post by Dfogleman2 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:49 am

I used the Warfare LOA figures for the Saxons, as they are said to have floppy hats up to about 1706. Gunter has posted many pictures of his massive Saxon army of Warfare figures on this forum. Use the Warfare cuirassiers for the Saxon cavalry. If you want your Saxons in tricornes, the new Warfare Russians would do, but they don't have cockades. If you must have cockades, try Ebor's Spanish Succession line.

Not sure about the Streltsi.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opponents for the Swedes

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 pm

I also have corresponded with Gunter regarding Saxon uniforms of the period. I was puzzled by the variety and mix of uniform styles in the German book on the Saxon Army of August the Strong, no collar, drop collars, turned back coats, coats with lapels etc etc

He told me that the army was beaten, re- equipped and re clothed so many times that simultaneously a wide variety of old and new uniforms were used. In other words, this is THE army to confound the button counters and it is all legit! 8)

I'm in heaven :lol:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford