First GNW game

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

First GNW game

Post by RogerC » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:45 pm

AT LAST! I have collected enough to have a first game, played really well with 7 Swedish foot and 7 Swedish and Polish Horse taking on 14 Allied Danish and Saxon Foot and 10 Danish Saxon and Russian horse, fairly predictable results perhaps.

Write up and more pictures on the blog.

http://gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk/

arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: First GNW game

Post by arthur1905 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 am

Roger,

your game looks like it was fun, well at least for the Danes and Allies, your collection is looking really grown and looks great.
It's a great feeling the first time you get a new project out for a game, congratulations.

Mark
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Sorry, not sure what happened to the pictures here they are again.

nevermore
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by nevermore » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:35 pm

They look pretty cool set of well painted figures, thanks for posting :D
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:04 am

That did look awesome!
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:42 pm

Cheers Gents, much appreciated.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

The figures look simply stunning - a lot of work clearly went into this. I particularly like the effect of the 'animated' flags.

Just one slightly negative comment - so much effort has gone into the figures but it is let down a little by the terrain. Your figures deserve better !

Phil
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:33 pm

How did you decide the army set up.

How was the Danish cavalry rated vs saxons/russians cavalry?

I would think the Danish cav would be the best rated cav of the allies? If the allies deployed last I would have put my danes against the swedes?
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:03 am

First game with these so it really was a playtest.

Gave the Swedes a plus one in melee but minus one for firing because of their volume of pike. I made the all allies essentially the same with lower movement speed and made them trotters, unable to countercharge and used closing fire instead. I made the Saxons and Danes the same, reducing stats slightly for Dragoons and then applying this across the Russians too. I made the Cossacks faster but added a rule that they could not charge infantry frontally unless shaken or disordered. Couple of other bits added too, overall felt about right. Need to consider the Poles more carefully. Their heavy cavalry was good but rarely stood up to the Western European cavalry for some reason.
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:38 am

The fall of Polen in the late 1600s early 1700s is quite interesting, Polish hussars saved Christendom from the Turks, But by GNW was quite useless.

It does go to show, armor, and lances doesn't really matter, it's all moral and tactics. The Swedes with their smaller horses would beat Poles, Danes, and Saxons simply by better leaders, more aggressive tactics, and unit cohesion.

It does put the whole wargaming Heavy/light cavalry into question.

I personally think cavalry for the horse and musket period, should only be classed by tactics and "quality"

I don't think cuirassiers should get an automatic bonus just because they have tin boxes on their chest.

I look forward to your next game! It was beautiful and I see most of the figures on both sides where ebor, with only some warfare Saxon cav and TAG poles, plus the WGF plastic Saxon infantry?
RogerC
Colonel
Colonel

Post by RogerC » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:38 pm

Correct. Also foundry Cossacks. I think your point is well made and we downgraded the Poles for GNW from their super stats for earlier period.