Interesting picture

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Interesting picture

Post by Gunfreak » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:01 pm

From a new book, I got about Norway in the great northern war.
A Norwegian dragoon in cuirass. All illustrations of Norwegian dragoons in this book shows them with the cuirass, including a reenactor.
I've sent a mail to the author, to ask about it. As everybody else says they were left at the depots.

Second interesting thing is is the horse. It's a Fordhest/Fjording an old Norwegian working horse breed. A very good horse. Not very big 135-150cm over the shoulders(most of to days horses are closer to 150 than 135)
Other illustrations do not show the dragoons on this horse. So it wasn't universal for the dragoons. But this is the first hint I've found that the Fjordhest was used as a warhorse.

danschorr
Major
Major

Re: Interesting picture

Post by danschorr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:27 pm

A bit skeptical about Norwegian dragoons actually wearing the cuirass on campaign, but open to the possibility. Would like to know the sources used by the artist. Any idea who the buff-clad figure with cuirass is suppose to be? Could you be so kind and provide the title and author of the book, as well as the artist of the illustrations?
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:08 pm

I'm sceptical too. Since every one seems to think they didn't use them.

This is the book.

https://www.adlibris.com/no/bok/norge-o ... AjWz8P8HAQ

The author works for the norweian armed forces museums in Norway.

I think the illustrator is

https://no.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreas ... forfatter)
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:32 pm

Thanks for your answer. I am going to try to order the book.