Coinkydink

Conflict between the Swedes and their various neighbours between 1670s and 1721. Including topics on Danes, Saxons, Saxon-Polish, Russians and anyone else the boys in blue were mixing it with!
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Coinkydink

Post by Gunfreak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:55 am

So Reading my Swedish Fraustadt book, one of the soldiers you follow is the Switz mason Christophe Gassmann. He went on tour of Germany to better learn his craft when he got pressganged into the Saxon army, he ended up in Kurprinsen regiment(that I recently painted)

He fought in 1705 and then at Fraustadt, where he got captured, he entered Swedish service, were he got captured within a few months at Karlitz, and again back in Saxon service, but as the war was already over, he was given back to the Swedish, as he was no considered a Swedish POW. This time he ended up in a Swedish dragoon regiment made up of prisoners, the Gyldenstjerna Dragoons, and here is the coinkydink, this will be the first regiment I paint when I get my hands on the new Warfare Swedish cavalry, and I have since late 2015 planned on doing this regiment. So I'll end up with 2 Regiments where Herr Gassmann served.
He also seemed to have a fetish for getting captured as he also gets captured by the Russians at Poltava and fought for Russia against Persia until 1722.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Re: Coinkydink

Post by The Rabblerouser » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 am

Seems his story is just like that of those unfortunate French grenadiers who got pressed into service in both Saxon and Swedish armies.
No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience
- John Locke
Gunfreak
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Gunfreak » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:16 am

Jupp, but he survived and came home to Switzerland after 1722.
The Rabblerouser
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by The Rabblerouser » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 am

Well I suppose he's one of the lucky few who had a happy ending. Compared to those and french and Danish-Norwegians in Imperial Service.
No man's knowledge here can go beyond his experience
- John Locke