6" close combat movement

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
ThomO

6" close combat movement

Post by ThomO » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:01 pm

Is this movement added to normal movement as a bonus charge move. So if I had an infantry unit that was say 11" away from an enemy could he just move into close combat or does the unit move normal, stop and then declare they are closing into combat? Also is this bonus 6" affected by terrain?
quindia
General
General

Re: 6" close combat movement

Post by quindia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:14 am

Technically, the 6" charge move doesn't occur until the close combat phase. Most of the time, you may simply move 12" during the movement phase for the sake of expediency, however sometimes it is important to split the move. The most common reason is that you might have allies who are going to fire at the target before you charge in! Also, you need line of sight to charge and the initial move might be needed to clear the corner of a building, etc.
ThomO

Post by ThomO » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:14 pm

Clarence,

Am I understanding that the Close Combat phase is after all the other units have moved or shot? I though each unit did it's thing before another card was drawn. So am I understanding that say a unit could move up to within 6" of an enemy unit and then wait to make it's charge/close combat move until after another units card was drawn so that the second unit could shoot at the target of the charging unit? In the same token if the target unit's card was drawn it could shoot at the charging unit before it actually charged in?

Thanks
Thom
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:26 pm

Ak... you're right... as published only the models on the current card act. My bad... I sometimes use the cards differently. The only reason to split movement in Donnybrook would be if you wanted to fire a pistol before charging on if you need to test to complete a charge (say, against one of the fear causing ghouls)...

Sorry bout that!
ThomO

Post by ThomO » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:16 pm

No problem, I just thought I really missed something. Though it sounds like maybe there was another idea in the early stages of the rules.
Thank You
Thom
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:03 pm

My brother pointed out a reason to split the movement and charge...

IF you are in open order AND within 6" of your target, you can use your move to form into close order and then charge. Close order lets all models fight, not just those in contact and gives you +1 to hit. Changing formation allows no further movement in that phase, but the charge comes in the close combat phase.

I never think of things like that and that's why I usually loose!
ThomO

Post by ThomO » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Good point!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:05 pm

quindia wrote:My brother pointed out a reason to split the movement and charge...

IF you are in open order AND within 6" of your target, you can use your move to form into close order and then charge. Close order lets all models fight, not just those in contact and gives you +1 to hit. Changing formation allows no further movement in that phase, but the charge comes in the close combat phase.

I never think of things like that and that's why I usually loose!
I had never thought of doing that either Clarence, must try and remember for the next game.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:49 pm

Of course you also run the risk of your card not coming up and your target slipping away or shooting you to pieces!