Donnybrook - miniatures.

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Donnybrook - miniatures.

Post by Efoe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:24 pm

Hi there!

A new player here. I got inspired by the articles in WI about Donnybrook, the 'Bokkenrijders' and the wonderful miniatures shown on the many pages. For me, a quick skirmish game with random activation and a lot of character was just the thing. I can see me playing this with friends, at demo's and even with my students in the classroom.

So! I sold an army of a different game, and with that money I pre-ordered Donnybrook and a load of miniatures. So far I am going for a government force and a cultist (or brigand) force. So far I am building my army without the actual rules but some example pages are shown to give me a rough idea.

With the government forces this is all very easy. Skirmishing musketeers, pikemen, galloping horsemen with varied poses are in plenty supply at the 'league of augsburg range'.

For the cultists I found the 'enthusiastic horsemen' just perfect. And added musketeers to be painted in non uniform colours.

And there was my problem. How about militia? thugs with swords, clubs, axes and farm tools, how about thugs/militia with pistols? The preview page says about cultists: For drilled, 50% of the unit may have pistols, the other half may have muskets. How should I read this? If no pistols are taken, all may have muskets? To be frank, I don't think so. Half may have muskets, and if no pistols are taken, they have no ranged weapons. And the raw units are just 12 thugs with cheap melee weapons.

How about miniatures with pistols and or melee weapons then? I have spend some evenings now searching the internet but I cannot find many figures that match the size of the league of augsburg miniatures. I ordered some rebels with scythes and pitchforks from Frontrank, but those do not fit at all. These miniatures are not only a head taller but must be twice the mass of the league of augsburg's.

So what miniatures could be used for thugs/militia? What villagers are used in the Donnybrook / Bokkenriders articles? I am looking for 'serious' miniatures that scale well with the league of augsburg range. So no crazy heroic out of proportion models with large scytes and huge axes. I have no problem at all to stretch the historically correct clothing a bit to find useful miniatures, but nothing too crazy.

Anyone idea's?
quindia
General
General

Re: Donnybrook - miniatures.

Post by quindia » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 pm

Welcome to the forum!

The models in the book come from numerous sources and I'll let Barry tackle that, but I bought some ECW clubmen from Warlord that fit in very well with Warfare...

http://us-store.warlordgames.com/search ... &q=Clubmen

The clothes may be a little anachronistic, but they work well enough for peasant mob types.

As far as weapons go, don't worry too much about exact ratios. You are correct that the entire unit should not be armed with muskets. If you mix in half muskets and half clubs that's fine too. Most of the equipment is meant as guidelines. For instance the army faction lists bayonets for musket armed troops. However, not all soldiers were equipped with bayonets in the early part of the period. If you model your collection on Huguenot foot of 1690 and you know they didn't have bayonets, you should not feel obligated to use them. In your example, the spirit of the cultist list is that they will not be armed as well as professional troops. As long as you use a mixture of weapons, your forces would be welcome at my game table.

As another example, the cultists have a Character we've called a ghoul. The Character is granted abilities that seem supernatural, but are based on the superstitious perceptions of the cultist opponent... Unless you prefer a more fictions setting for your game! The ghoul could be simply be a deranged psychopath with a cleaver, a sinister assassin cloaked to appear as a wraith, or a loon who thinks he's a werewolf... or if you like, the ghoul can be a REAL undead creature if it suits your game!

Most of the factions allow for a huge scope of customization and creativity and I am really looking forward to seeing where people take these rules!
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:18 am

Have a look at the Dixon range as some of his figures fit in nicely and would give a more informal look especially to the pike men. I used them to ad numbers and more variety to French own Militia. I also believe front rank do some armed civilian types but I have not seen them in the flesh.

:evil: Ginger
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:11 am

Thank you for your reply! this is a great help. That I shouldn't be too precise with the weapon loadout helps a lot. I am currently looking at the range of Redoubt Enterprices for the cultists. Pirates, axemen, clubmen, all kinds of good stuff. Albeit a little pricy for I do need a lot of them. But it will be fine in the end.

And superstition is half the fun indeed. I am realy looking forward in puzzling with all the characters. A Ghoul character? Excellent, might touch a bit of the vampire-theme too. Love that.

I am also considering to write my own rules for my militia to face an army of zombies and an 'army' of wolves. Just for fun. (I am a roleplayer at heart) My students will love that kind of stuff. :)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:53 pm

A lot of the civilian types that Barry and myself use are from the Foundry and Dixon ECW ranges.
Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:55 pm

Donnybrook 'Dark' is in the pipe!... dealing with my own preoccupation with vampires, zombies etc!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:29 pm

Most of my armed peasants are from the lovely Foundry Early Revolutionary range.
Cheers
Dave
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:25 pm

Thanks! I will take a good look at the said ranges!
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:39 am

I have a Solo project called Fuzils and Zombies in the works

Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Efoe » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:12 am

Nice! Do you plan to take many types of zombies? And perhaps you could even make the zombies AI-driven for solo play ;)

@ Dave: I hardly dare to ask you due to my unknowing noob-ness. But do you mean the Foundry -French Revolution section? Or am I missing something? (Sorry :oops: )
The miniatures do not look overly familiar, albeit they look pretty useful.
I slowly get a picture of all the different ranges now. Soon I'm going to order some thugs/militia. :)
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:35 pm

Efoe wrote: @ Dave: I hardly dare to ask you due to my unknowing noob-ness. But do you mean the Foundry -French Revolution section? Or am I missing something? (Sorry :oops: )
The miniatures do not look overly familiar, albeit they look pretty useful.
I slowly get a picture of all the different ranges now. Soon I'm going to order some thugs/militia. :)
Yes that's the range of figures I was talking about, most of them look generic enough to fill in for the late 17th century.
Cheers
Dave
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:09 pm

The Zombies are reactive & you never know how many you will get as any piece of cover might contain them. as for figures I have on the painting table 120 Mantic Zombies 30 Mantic Ghouls 20 GW Zombies and about 20 conversions using bits of Wargames factory WSS infantry to give them more of a late 17c look This may not be enough but will do for play testing I hope. The opposition is half a company of French Militia about 70 figures in all the ones I entered in the painting competition the other year in fact.