Taken the Plunge. What Next?

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Taken the Plunge. What Next?

Post by counterattack71 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:58 pm

So having stubbornly refused to take up another period to Wargame, as mentioned in previous posts I finally gave in to the lovely looking 'Donnybrook'. After Barry's article in the recent issue of WI and the nice array of miniatures produced I think I can definitely get into this.

However, unlike the long interest I've had in Napoleonics and the Second World War, I've got almost zero background knowledge. Despite bookshelves groaning under the weight of these other periods about the only thing I have that may be of relevance is Richard Holmes' book on Marlborough (and a recently arrived one on Blenheim by Charles Spencer, which I've yet to read).

Are there any other books people could recommend that would help me? Preferably still in print, orderable through Amazon perhaps, and not likely to cost me a small fortune (noticed 'From Pike to Shot' by Grant is about fifty quid!!).

I'm also willing to consider a few historical fiction paperbacks for good scenario ideas too :D
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
quindia
General
General

Re: Taken the Plunge. What Next?

Post by quindia » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:21 pm

Mike McNally's Aughrim is good. It gives an overview of the whole Ireland campaign and there are dozens of opportunities for Donnybrook sized battles!

Link

There is also a Kindle version if you like that format.

This theater is also a favorite of the LoA and there are tons of unit and uniform details available here on the forum and on our other sites!
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Taken the Plunge. What Next?

Post by counterattack71 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:33 pm

The Kindle version is only £10, but I've also found paperback copies on other sites from around £16 - not bad, so I'll definitely be getting it in one version or another.

Also noticed the reading list on the LOA blog site which is pretty useful.

If anyone has any others they'd like to contribute I'll take note!
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.