Card Deck

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Card Deck

Post by raif » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:53 pm

I am wonder how could look such a card deck? Did anyone have done one?
quindia
General
General

Re: Card Deck

Post by quindia » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:35 pm

I hate to keep saying this, but I have a series planned for the blog on making card decks. I wanted to wait on some of this stuff until the book was out so it made sense in context.

The absolute simplest way to make an action deck for Donnybrook is to take a regular deck of playing cards. On your force roster, assign one card to each character and unit. For example...

Hero, Ace of Hearts
Character A, King of Hearts
Character B, Queen of Hearts
Character C, Jack of Hearts
Character D, Ten of Hearts
Unit A, Two of Hearts
Unit B, Three of Hearts
Unit C, Four of Hearts
Unit D, Five of Hearts

Assign one of the black suits to the enemy force, let's say Clubs. Use the Joker for the Turn Over Card, the Ace of Spades for the Reload Card, and the Ace of Diamonds for the Event Card (you can even write on these cards if this is a spare deck).

Keep an eye on the blog for more...
raif
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by raif » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:51 pm

great! thank you!!!

oh, and don't hate it, make it! :mrgreen:
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:53 pm

raif wrote:I am wonder how could look such a card deck? Did anyone have done one?
What I've done with my Tangiers collection is to photograph every character and unit, print them out and glue them onto existing playing cards.
Cheers
Dave
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:59 am

Gents,
I've made my using card stock and formatting the pictures and designs using PowerPoint. I then print them out and use the plastic clear card covers like those used for "Magic the Gathering". You have to do a few trial runs with you card size to fit the clear plastic covers.

Hope this helps.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:19 pm

When we had our first game of Donnybrook the other day we used ordinary poker chips with small white stickers on stating the Heros, Units, Load and Tund Ends, put them in a small bag or pot and just draw them... more about it in the upcomming AAR at my blog....just have to write it...so it will take a day or so...

Best regards Michael
flick40
Major General
Major General

Post by flick40 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:00 pm

Like Redmist above I use Power Point. Find a card template like this one and use a blank presentation in Power Point and past it in making sure you expand it to take up the whole page. Image

Then find a picture of the period online like this one

Then copy, paste and fit it to the backside of your cards. After that use the 'insert text' option to write "Unit" or "Character" on each card. Change the font to make it look fancy. Then print it out, cut them out, fold them in half with a touch of Elmers glue and seal them with clear plastic. Then all you need to do is use a marker* to write in the specific information for your game. Shuffle and off you go. You can make 4 cards with each sheet you print.

*hint; if you use a permanent marker you can use a dry erase marker to wipe it clean when you're done.

Joe