Rule questions

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Rule questions

Post by Efoe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:53 pm

I got the Donnybrook book! I think its lovely. Colourful, pleasantly written, loads of options, army lists and all are very nice.

I just got a few questions after reading though.

The pike weapons grant first strike when "not shaken/ when steady". Does this include pikemen in open order? I assume that the unit needs to be in close order as well? (And do they keep the first strike after the first turn? or do they strike simultanious just like everybody else on next turns?)

And how about parrying with a longsword? In the text is says that a model with a longsword could parry multiple times in a turn, albeit with a cumulative -1 after each attempt. I assume that the parry attempt is only allowed once for each incoming attack?
quindia
General
General

Re: Rule questions

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:20 pm

Thanks, Efoe!

Pikemen do not need to be in close order to gain the strike first bonus, but they are much more effective if deployed in close order... Remember that all models in close order fight in close combat, not just those in base to base contact! Pikemen in open order can be sniped by single horsemen, but a steady block of pikes should make individual models or small units think twice before risking a charge!

On subsequent turns, combat is simultaneous just as for other models. The strike first rule is only for the initial turn.

You are also correct about parries... The multiple parry rule is for characters being attacked by multiple foes. You may only make one parry attempt per attack!

Hope that helps!
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: Rule questions

Post by Efoe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 pm

It does help! thanks a lot!