Donnybrook AAR #1 and #2

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Donnybrook AAR #1 and #2

Post by dalauppror » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Hi

This week I and my friends managed to run 2 games for our Scanian War, Snapphanhar style project testing the brand new Donnybrook rules,you can find the AAR´s at my blog

Best regards Michael

quindia
General
General

Re: Donnybrook AAR #1 and #2

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:43 pm

These are great, Michael! Your admenments are very much in the spirit Donnybrook is intended. The game is easy to house rule and I hope players feel free modify things to suit their play style.

Two observations...

1. Forces with lots of elites may indeed find it hard to win against more numerous opponents. Elite troops certainly fight better, but they die just as easily when shot! You can quickly find your troops overwhelmed. Personally I try to limit my Elites to one or two choices (and I normally combine the units if I picked two). Recruits are useful for bolstering that 50% End of Game test!

2. Shooting can be deadly, but I also noticed you ensured that the Reload Card came up every turn by ignoring the Turn Over Card if the Relaod had not yet appeared. You might find shooting less impactful if you allow the Turn Over Card to play as is. You will also find that players hold their fire a little longer so as not to be caught empty at a more critical point (rather than sniping at long range for the chance to pick off a lone enemy model, certain in the fact that they will probably get to reload soon).

Using poker chips is a great alternative to cards!
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:45 pm

Oh, yeah... Great looking games too!
Phil Robinson
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Phil Robinson » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:26 pm

Excellent report, terrain and toys, thanks for the thoughts on Donnybrook, looking forward to picking them up on Sunday and seeing Barry's demo of course :D
"If you are going through hell, keep going" Winston Churchill

http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
dalauppror
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by dalauppror » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:41 pm

Appreciated !!!

Thanks Clarence for a very nice set of rules !

The Elit Danish force was not realy by chooise, but our friend Sören have been lazy and not painted any more Danish minis for us to toy with... but soon he have at least I hope so... :D

Good point about the reload card in my alternated activation sequence...we havent tried it yet but it was a thought that got to us when playing and some poor units didn´t get the chanse to activate at all during the game...like the Swedish hero in the first game that just was activated oned...and as you all know Swedish hero´s should be allower the gaming table saving the world... :roll:

More games to follow, I´m already thinking of geting outside the designated years for Donnybrook and try it out as I like the simplicity of the rules very much.

Best regards Michael