New Turn Over - card Idea.

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

New Turn Over - card Idea.

Post by Efoe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:39 pm

I've read some posts and reviews about the turn-over card (TOC) to be a bit too random for people. I've playtested the card system with a similar game setting before I got the original rules and the some of us thought it was indeed a bit off puting at times. We had a few turns where the TOC was in the top 4 cards and a few really crazy things happened. A unit was activated 3 times while the enemy stood there frothing in frustration.

That got me thinking: while I love the idea of the TOC as it makes the game non-linear and unpredictable, I think it needs to be toned down for my games. Removing the card makes the game too flat in my opinion. As part of the charm of the game is the chaos on the battlefield.

So how about TWO turn over cards in the deck? Both need to be drawn to have the turn ending effect. I think this is the sweetspot for me in my games and I will give it a serious try.

Just an idea.
quindia
General
General

Re: New Turn Over - card Idea.

Post by quindia » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Lots of ways to modify the way the deck works and I encourage people to do what ever works for them. Just be wary of making changes after a couple of games... The example you give seems like an extreme. It absolutely CAN happen, but runs of luck like that can easily turn quickly and the card system usually evens out in the end.

By all means, tinker away!
Efoe
Private First Class
Private First Class

Re: New Turn Over - card Idea.

Post by Efoe » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:05 am

Well, the major difference is that with one TOC you could reshuffle on the first or the last card. But if you take the endless average the TOC will be roughly halfway through the deck. Meaning that about half the units on the table would be activated each turn.

With two TOC's you remove a bit of the extremes and if you take the extreme average you have one card in each third of the deck. Meaning that roughly about two thirds of the units on the table would activate each turn with the extremes more likely to the bottom half of the deck and not the top.

Thats why I think I like this option more :)