Review of Donnybrook on Meeples and Miniatures

Dedicated to skirmishing with DONNYBROOK the new set of rules created by Clarence and Barry. Information on the rules, queries on play, battle reports, faction info, new ideas, painting tips, scenarios and chat for skirmish-adventure gaming 1660-1760.
MikeH
Corporal
Corporal

Review of Donnybrook on Meeples and Miniatures

Post by MikeH » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:02 am

hi all

we've just released our latest podcast with a full review of Donnybrook at Meeples and Miniatures

http://meeples.wordpress.com/2014/10/09 ... onnybrook/

hope you all enjoy it

Mike
Catch me on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/M_A_Hobbs
quindia
General
General

Re: Review of Donnybrook on Meeples and Miniatures

Post by quindia » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks for a very in depth and flattering review!

"Designed for gentlemen's games..." perfectly sums it up. Donnybrook was designed to be scenario driven. I read a post on The Forum Which Shall Remain Nameless where one guy didn't like the rules and went on to describe how they pretty much just lined up two factions, tried to kill each other, and felt like they didn't have any choices in the game. Yeah, Donnybrook is not for games like that. I prefer games where the rules are transparent and I don't need to spend lots of time looking things up. Opponents who want to argue over every rule or track 1/4" movement increments to gain an advantage rarely get invited for a second game at my house.

The factions in particular were designed to be as open as possible to allow for many different games. Again, if you set out to break thee lists and search for some character/unit/ally combo that gives an unfair advantage, you can probably do that (but the random chaos of the card deck even helps to minimize these kinds of things). Personally I hardly bother with point matches and instead design forces around a scenario.

Your point about the cards is well taken. I always make my own, with photos of my collection. Individual decks will be very... err... individual! I will be happy to make up a set of generic cards and make them available via PDF for people to fill in their own units.

Also the point on models is also fair, though to be honest I originally came at this from the other direction. The impetus for Donnybrook started as a way to promote the period and maybe some Warfare Miniatures sales by producing a game that only required a small number of models. We have talked about producing Donnybrook specific models and packs, but Barry's sculptors are already chained to their desks!

We have lots of plans for expansion going forward. My time has been limited in 2014 so we've been unable to maybe capitalize on some opportunities... I am hoping 2015 will be better!

Thanks again for the review and all of the kind words.
MikeH
Corporal
Corporal

Re: Review of Donnybrook on Meeples and Miniatures

Post by MikeH » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Hi Clarence

glad you enjoyed the review, I'm just sorry its taken us so long to record it and get it out.

hopefully it'll spark a bit of interest in the rules as I really think they deserve to better known about

all the best

Mike

PS I've asked Neil to post a link to the thread with the links to the cards I made, which may help as well
Catch me on Twitter;

https://twitter.com/M_A_Hobbs