1:40 Scale

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
daniel1492
Private First Class
Private First Class

1:40 Scale

Post by daniel1492 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:06 pm

I would love to be able to afford or have the painting time for 1:20 scale Napoleonics. Unfortunately, I do not have either luxury. I was wondering if RtE will be playable at different scales? I currently have 4 figure, 4-6 stand units based 2 rank deep.

Regards,

Daniel
"As fate is inexorable, and not to be moved either with tears or reproaches, an excess of sorrow is as foolish as profuse laughter; while, on the other hand, not to mourn at all is insensibility."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun May 31, 2009 4:22 pm

no probs.. will be fine :wink:
Last edited by barr7430 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:55 pm

Daniel - the mantra seems to be pretty much anything goes within some very broad parameters - so long as you apply your scales / ratios reasonably evenly across both sides on the table top.

For what it's worth I intend to go with French battalions of around 24 figures, and Austrian battalions of about 32 - 28 figures, which works out at roughly 1:30. I'll be basing in fours - if only because this keeps my bases narrow enough to fit on my bridges!
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:19 pm

Those will do just fine John :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
daniel1492
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by daniel1492 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:08 pm

Excellent news! I love Beneath the Lily Banners and look forward to RtE.
"As fate is inexorable, and not to be moved either with tears or reproaches, an excess of sorrow is as foolish as profuse laughter; while, on the other hand, not to mourn at all is insensibility."
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca
bibio
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by bibio » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:18 pm

Barry
can i offer a suggestion when it comes to your display games go for one to fory,there is nothing more offputting for a period than seeing masses of painted figuresand thinking thats what is needed for the rules,the napoleonic display that you put on a couple of years back was an exampleA lot of us thought' nice display but if that the amount of figures needed forget the period.'
iain
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:06 pm

Hi bilbio,

Sorry, but I must disagree I've seen two of Barry's display games and his Boyne Game was a inspiration to me and this got me into the period.
Seeing his napoleonic display at Falkirk, I was surprised at how few units you need.
If BLB is anything to go by, I think R2E will be just as flexable with not just figure scales, but unit scales also.
I myself will be using 15mm figures at a scale of 1 to 50 giving me a battalion of 12 figures in 2 ranks of 6 = 600 men.My reason for this is I'm going to refight Waterloo which I started back in 1997 and I hope to have it finished by next year.
In total over 3,000 figures, now theres a display. :wink:
For me one of the greatest land battles ever fought and I walked the battlefield some years ago, my inspiration for this was seeing the film back in 1970 with Rod Steiger and Christopher Plummer.My class at school went to see it when I was only 12 years old..........showing my age now :oops:

Regards Ray.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:25 am

There are also references in the book to playing with a single brigade per side on a 4x6' table. All of the games I've run with R2E have been 5-6 battalions (24-36 models each) per side plus a regiment of cavalry (12 models each) and (sometimes) a battery of guns. One of the great things about R2E is it seems to work as well for games at that scale as the monsters that the LoGW put on.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:13 pm

As one of the playtesters we have fought a variety of sized games but the ones we normally do on a club night are Divisional sized actions with around 8-10 battalions a side plus usually a battery of guns and some cavalry. My 1812 games are on an even smaller level with normally only 4-6 units per side. These smaller games have worked just as well with the rules as have the Corps sized actions we have fought.

Cheers
Dave