Napoleonic Guest Gallery

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Napoleonic Guest Gallery

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:32 pm

I have accrued some nice pictures of my friend's Napoleonics which I'd like to share with visitors to the site. Interestingly I have noticed that the most `hit' pictures on this website are always the Napoleonics! A photo of the 46 de Ligne which I painted and David Imrie rebased has been consistently the most visited picture on the site! I took it down and one point and even after putting it back up it is still the most hit!! Maybe Napoleonic Wargaming in in the soul of us all!

Anyway, will build this section as and when. Enjoy the work of some fine painters and great gamers! :wink:

Barry
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Fire at Will
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Fire at Will » Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:14 pm

Napoleonics have always been the basis of my wargaming and I am still looking for that set of rules that reflect the Napoleonic era as I see it. Part of that is the visual appeal of the units involved, which I consider reached it's height in this era.
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Good Old 'Naps'

Post by PaulMc » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:39 pm

Looking forward to this. Napoleonics brought/enticed/lured (delete as applicable) me to this life (I would say hobby, but it's much more than that :roll: ) I'll always love that period for it's colour and drama. I've been enjoying reading the posts from various players from the League of Gentlemen Wargamers, and I hope their verbal sparring continues unabated.

Oh, and those Prussian Landwehr that Barry has just posted look absolultely stunning.

PaulMc
"We shall attack across the minefield, under cover of daylight!"
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:12 pm

No matter what the great unwashed say, Napoleonic wargaming is the period that is always "there"! 8)

IT wasn't my first to build in metal miniatures, but it is my "first love" in wargaming and my passion in history! :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:14 pm

Sorry for the type size in the previous message! :oops:

Say, Barry, have you repainted the Russian officer's plume yet? :wink:
Sgt Steiner
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sgt Steiner » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:32 pm

BURN THE HERETICS !!!!

WWII is THE wargaming period :D
"Merry it was to laugh there-where death becomes absurd and life absurder. For power was on us as we slashed bones -. Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder." Wilfred Owen
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:20 am

Aaah! Skannian good to have you back!

Well I thought I´d leave that plume white to bug the hell out of you!

More Russkies on the way but I won´t be doing any dodgy pulmes on those!

Sgt Steiner expresses the view that WW2 is King of Periods and by the signs of the last couple of years at big shows it does seem to be the predominant one at the moment.

ACW and Napoleonics have kind of died out of the show scene over the last two or three years but I suspect that is as much to do with instant gratification as anything else. It is much easier to throw half a dozen Shermans and 50 infantry together than a French Napoleonic infantry division!

That is why I am so pleased to see such an amount of activity in the 1680-1715 period, looks like there are a lot of figures mustering out there!

Best

Barry

Henry Ford
Sgt Steiner
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sgt Steiner » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:48 am

Hi Barry et al
Sgt Steiner expresses the view that WW2 is King of Periods and by the signs of the last couple of years at big shows it does seem to be the predominant one at the moment.
It is and always (?) has been the case that the big three periods are WWII, Nappys and Ancients (at least here in UK) and most miniature gamers I know concentrate on one or more of these with branch interests in one or several other 'fringe' periods.
In realms of board and computer wargaming I would say that WWII has always been the king.

WWII has certainly seen a resurgence in recent years (so many new ranges scales rules etc its great !!) I suspect due to in no small part to such 'events' as Saving Private Ryan/Band Of Brothers and the D-Day/VE day celebrations of recent years.

Personally I dont own any Nappy figs (bar a few old Airfix plastics) and have only participated in a few games (using Shako or Piquet rules) as the period has never 'rocked my boat' but I got to admit that Nappy games look great on tabletop.

Cheers
"Merry it was to laugh there-where death becomes absurd and life absurder. For power was on us as we slashed bones -. Not to feel sickness or remorse of murder." Wilfred Owen
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

King of periods?

Post by PaulMc » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:34 pm

Hi folks,

I reckon there is no such thing as a 'King' of periods. True, certain periods have always been very popular, and more so than others. This will probably always be the case with Ancients, Naps & WWII, but just because a great many gamers like them doesn't make them the 'King'.
The 'King' for any gamer is their favourite period (and even that may change as time passes and they discover different eras).

For me, I'd have to say it's the Grand Alliance/LOA period. I'm just starting to research it, I don't even have any figures yet, but I'm doing what I always do when starting on a new project. I'm collecting as many books and looking for as many websites even remotely linked to the era as I can. This all came from a desire to refight a certain battle that took place in Ireland in 1690 (can't quite remember the name...it took place over a river :lol: ). After some searching, I found this site, first stop was the Gallery, then the GA/LOA section and I was completely and utterly hooked (I am a bit of a uniform & flag junkie).

So that's how I found my new 'King' of periods (long may it reign). Obviously Sgt Steiner's is WWII, and I have to admit that playing in the campaign and the games at Barry's have started me on this period too. Especially with FOW and those Battleground miniatures (why do they have to make their vehicles so irresistable?). But GA/LOA has to be the one for me in the long term. The uniforms, the flags, the battles, the colourful characters and the huge curly wigs :wink: .

PaulMc
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:11 am

No not another period please, Paul researching it and begining to buy figures means I will soon be researching it and starting to buy figures so that his army has an opponent and that menas even more lead around the house and more stuff to paint that i don't have time for aaaaagh my head is exploding.

Seriously I am just getting round to reading about the Boyne period, (all Puul's fault he lent me the book). So once my ecw are painted, and the fow stuff is finished that will be the next project.

Probably get round to it in around 2007

IanB
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Jun 30, 2005 10:55 am

No matter what the great unwashed say, Napoleonic wargaming is the period that is always "there"!

I still stand by this because it is not based on "instant gratification" as Barry puts it, but longevity! :wink: And what's so amazing is that the popularity and longevity that Napoleonics have had over the last 50 odd years of wargaming have had nothing at all to do with the internet, GW-ish marketing and pretty coloured pictures contained in rules full of fluff! 8)

Again, no matter what the great unwashed say, Napoleonic wargaming is the period that is always "there"! :lol:
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

Ya boo sucks!!!

Post by PaulMc » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:04 pm

Hiya guys,

Ian, don't worry yourself mate, I'm more than happy to build up forces for both sides. I'm so taken with the whole look of the troops of this era that I want to collect and paint a lot of them (no instant gratification here :wink: ). You know I also like to collect books too and I'll keep doing that until I'm happy that I've got enough for my needs or my floorboards collapse under the strain (whichever comes first).

WWII I enjoy playing, don't like the uniforms (not enough colour) but I do love the tanks and other vehicles.

Napoleonics I still love, but mainly just to read now. I've never been able to decide which force to build up. Maybe some day I'll go back to it, but it's a long way off.

PaulMc
azeroth
Captain
Captain

Post by azeroth » Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:54 pm

Paul,

I am so glad you said that about collecting both sides after all your painting skills are far in excess of mine :D

I will get there eventually though and I am getting the wargames room here near to completion, Shona (she who must be obeyed) has decided the downstairs flooring is the next job in a couple of weeks and after that the room is getting finished as she is fed up of my half painted armies all over the house (well she actually said if the room was finished it might just give me the incentive to finish some of the *****y armies )

IanB
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 5:55 pm

Nothing quite like a casual remark to start the juices running!!!!

I tend to agree with Paul Mc on what the King of Periods is and that is not a political position. Some wargames periods will continue to remain the mainstream even if their popularity appears to dip slightly from time to time. I know for a fact that Wargames magazines will to an extent be driven by manufacturers pushing products, buying advertising space and thus raising the profile of periods with contrived articles to make very uninteresting periods appear marginally diverting.

You only have to look at Foundry´s push on Darkest Africa a few years back... I mean, what was that all about :roll: I think a few blokes got round a table in a pub had a few too many pints, watched Carry On up the Jungle and then thought up most of that stuff.. I just did not get it. Tarzan and Jane and all that malarkey.. some of the painting of semi nude women was a bit too gratuitous for me too.. far TOO MUCH DETAIL over certain area of the figures I thought :shock: And, the names of the tribes... really. Was Kenneth Williams writing the script????

Anyway, plenty more examples since then. Part of it is back to attention span and instant gratification (oops there I go again). It´s the wargames equivalent of one hit wonder Boy and Girl Bands.... Look good but once you´ve played the CD once it´s all the same and sinks without trace. I think I´ll start a What Happened after they were famous Chart for old wargaming periods....

Yes, I´ve been out in the sun too long, time for another Tequila Sunrise 8)

The old faithfuls will never die and will come round as many times as Doc Marten Boots, Harrington Jackets, Crombie Coats and Mullets! (most of those never wnet out of fashion where I live)

Ancients
ECW
Napoleonics
ACW
WW2

There, I´ve probably upset everyone now! :wink:

B

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Barry,

You should've put Napoleonics first! ;-)

You don't have to worry about me and the Russian plum... you have to worry about Mr. Imrie! :twisted: