The Saxon Army 1810-13

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Anonymous

The Saxon Army 1810-13

Post by Anonymous » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:11 pm

Gentlemen,

as I started with raising the Saxon Army I faced certain problems because most manufacturer have only Troops for the Years 1800-1807 in their ranks.
:shock:
I first researched all available sources like the Sauerweids and Histofig pics as well as my own books of french origin and tried to find matches so I would be able to overcome the troubles with the differences in the Uniforms of Saxony and the Figures I would use for them. The Infantry is of minor problems, but the cavalry contains a Regiment, the Garde du Corps, who saw action in Russia at the side of the famous Zastrow Curassiers. The most sources say the GdC dont wear Armor and there is the problem.
Closest thing would be British Houshold but I cant find figures that fit with the Elite-Minitures of my infantry.
Does someone have a suggestion? I am open for any comment. :idea:

regards

MarechalNey
Ronan the Librarian
Captain
Captain

Post by Ronan the Librarian » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:23 pm

From the reference to Elite Miniatures, I assume you are interested in 28mm, rather than 15mm. If so, help may be at hand; at the moment, it's only infantry, but you could contact the owner/designer and see when he plans to release cavalry:-

http://www.calpeminiatures.co.uk/

Some pictures are here:-

http://befreiungskriege.wordpress.com/

Hope that helps.

RtL
Ssshhhhh!!!!!
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:20 pm

We have all been waiting for the release of these new Saxon figures from Calpe so it is great to see them finally announced. There are some excellent uniform references in the various FG Hourtelle books.

I'm sure Peter will follow up in due course with a great range fo cavalry. IMHO it will be worth the wait.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 pm

There is a 28mm range of late Napoleonic Saxons by the late and very great Peter Gilder. It is the Connoisseur range, currently available in the United Kingdom from Bicorne Minaitures.

www.bicorne.net

The range dates from the early 1990's, but is still very nice. Gilder figures were always very dynamic. The Saxon range has infantry (in shako), Light Horse (in shako), grenadiers, and also Zastrow Cuirassiers.

A member of my club (the SODS) has a very nice unit of Zastrow Cuirassiers (beautifully painted by Doug Mason, get out your early Miniature Wargames magazines!). They are a great unit, quite imposing.

One of my own 28mm Napoleonic armies is late (1813) Danish. There were not any figures available for these so i had to look for closest types. The Connoisseur Saxons were good enough and i used many of those. The Light Horse were ideal for Danish Heavy cavalry!

I'm sure that i could supply a couple of photos to look at the figures, as i don't think Bicorne has pictures of the Saxons on the website (they have other Connoisseur though).

Hope this helps.

Dean.