Its a dark day.....and its all your fault Barry.

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Duke of Plaza-Toro
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Duke of Plaza-Toro » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:22 am

Jack wrote:
CoffinDodger wrote:I started off using Bruce Quarrie's rules Jim
God, not another one. That 33:1 scale was a real pain but I think the best at the time.
Me too! A whole generation of Napoleonic gamers must have cut their teeth on the original 'Aifix Guide' version of those rules. My old red hardback copy is so thumbed and worn some pages are difficult to read now. I later 'upgraded' to the revised edition in Bruce's 'Napoleon's Campaigns in Miniature'. However, I eventually developed an aversion to 'National Characteristics' and descended into a sort of Napoleonics purgatory - my favours endlessly fluctuating between the Newbury 'Napoleonic Warfare' rules and 'In the Grand Manner' - a combined experience which nearly killed off my interest in Napoleonic wargaming for good!
In enterprise of martial kind, When there was any fighting, He led his regiment from behind -
He found it less exciting.

http://worldcrisisinminiature.wordpress.com/
Raymondh
Private
Private

Post by Raymondh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:16 am

Hey Jack.

Good to see you and the bald fella are involved in this whole mess as well.

Despite living in NZ I too have been bitten by the Napoleonic bug after years of swearing I'd never game the period again! Even in relative backwaters down at the bottom of the world the plastic scene seems to have taken off in a big way. I'm half way through my first few boxes of Brits and Froggies with another truckload on the way from Caliver soon (hopefully). Whether I actually get round to painting them all is another matter! It also looks as though quite a few guys in our club have been bitten as well.

I've also ordered a copy of "Republic to Empire" based mainly on what I've read from Angus's site and gathered from the threads here. It would appear, being of a similar background to you guys in Blighty and of a similar age that they will push all my buttons.

Stay in touch :P

Raymond
Jack
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Jack » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:01 am

Raymondh wrote:Hey Jack.
I'm half way through my first few boxes of Brits and Froggies with another truckload on the way from Caliver soon (hopefully). Whether I actually get round to painting them all is another matter! It also looks as though quite a few guys in our club have been bitten as well.

It would appear, being of a similar background to you guys in Blighty and of a similar age that they will push all my buttons.
Raymond
Nice to hear from you. After the initial rush of 12 battalions I have kinda stalled, too busy getting French allies, Lusitanian/Portugese and Brits ready for customers. "Crusty old bugg***" is how I heard us described last week. Almost everyone at the club who has been involved with a game has been taken with the rules so yes they should hit the mark with you. They have a load of lovely pics or as Angus would say "wargames -" .
Raymondh
Private
Private

Post by Raymondh » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:08 am

Can't wait to receive the rules mate! I forgot how much fun it was painting Napoleonics.

The only problem with plastics is that you tend to buy waaaaay too many at a time because they are so cheap. So far I have the best part of a British and French Napoleonic armies, a huge Republican Roman army, 40 odd British Chariots, and a royalsit ECW army. All in plastic! If I get them all painted before I fall of the perch it'll be a miracle.

Funnily enough my Caliver order arived today but Cath insists that it's a Christmas Pressie so no opening until the big Day (Grrrr).

I did manage to extracate a box of Perry French Cavalry though before they dissapearred into Santa's sack. How do those guys get to be so talented? I can't wait to see how they're Hussars turn out. The Three up's look awesome. In saying that, the Victirx figure are also very very nice. I decided to do a few battalions of them up for use with Sharp Practice skirmish games. Have you tried those out? Michael and I have had a few games at home and they are real blast. Definitely not to be taken seriously.

Take care

Ray.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:36 pm

I must be old-fashioned as I need the heft of metal figures to be able to call them proper toys as opposed to plastic toys. A scrap between two plastic armies doesn't seem like a real wargame to me. Ducks for cover.

Jim
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
Raymondh
Private
Private

Post by Raymondh » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:01 am

Nah, your not old fashioned at all. I still prefer lead to plastic but 'needs must' and all that. Given the current financial crisis plastics are really quite attractive. I was also pleasantly surprised at the quality of the casting, especially the Napoleonic stuff. Both Perry and Victrix have done a superb job.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Raymond, it's nice to hear from you again. It's been a while.
It looks like all the previous club members that used to have 15mm armies and gotten rid of them have caught the bug and are re-doing all their armies again in 25/28mm. The Brits you used to have looked great so I'm sure you'll do a great job of the new ones.

I though I was doing well managing to stick with my 1812 Brits and Americans but Hilton's evil spell has now got me with some French and loads of Russians to paint then Bill Miller has given me a load of Poles to add to my unpainted lead pile. I can see all my other projects being put on the back burner for a long time.

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:31 pm

Evil Spell :shock:
As long as it#s not EVIL SMELL :oops:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
j1mwallace
Major General