Napoleonic battery waggons

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Napoleonic battery waggons

Post by Shann1870 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:16 pm

Can anyone suggest a source of generic 4 wheeled baggage/supply waggons, as opposed to army specific limbers/caissons with which to liven up French, Prussian and Russian artillery units. I would like to add a little depth and bulk to my batteries (although not to the visually impressive but suspiciously obsessive extent to which Barry has) - I had to offer to hold a box file of the stuff at Partizan to prevent him spilling it all over the floor!! Any help would be gratefully received. The game - Vauchamps - looked great by the way.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Napoleonic battery waggons

Post by Rob Herrick » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:28 pm

Shann1870 wrote:Can anyone suggest a source of generic 4 wheeled baggage/supply waggons, as opposed to army specific limbers/caissons with which to liven up French, Prussian and Russian artillery units. I would like to add a little depth and bulk to my batteries (although not to the visually impressive but suspiciously obsessive extent to which Barry has) - I had to offer to hold a box file of the stuff at Partizan to prevent him spilling it all over the floor!! Any help would be gratefully received. The game - Vauchamps - looked great by the way.
Are you doing 15mm or 25mm?

Either way, you may wish to look into Minifigs line. They have a whole series of 2-wheeled water wagons, 4-wheeled forage wagons, ammunition wagons and the like in 15mm, and they may in 25mm.

In 15mm/18mm, I believe AB also has a bunch of wagons. Eureka also has ammo wagons for their 18mm SYW; you would have to replace the driver with a Napoleonic period one, but that's about it, really.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:47 pm

In 28mm try the old Hinchliffe range (was sold through Ellerburn but I think Ian Campbell has retiure now) someone is still doing it. Otherwise....

Foundry General Purpose range
Perry AWI wagons and tumbrils
Hovels do a nice hay wagon and horse team -well worht a look.

Hope this helps

THE OCD MEISTER
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:52 am

With reference to the Vauchamp game and the Prussian 'artillery park' some of the wagons/manufacturers 'in it' were:

Foundry general purpose and also 'medieval wagons'.
Redout's ACW (various wagons) with slight 'mods' and obviously painted 'Prussian Sky Blue'.

Blucher
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:54 am

Bicorne do some great items in their Napoleonic range (including sledges for Russians!). They've also got some good bits in their ECW range.

They also have Gilders old Connoisseur range with lots of good but large pieces.

Both for 25mm/28mm.

Dean
Shann1870
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Shann1870 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks chaps - great response. Hadn't realised that Minifigs did such a large range. They seem promising but are they compatible with Perry/Foundry stuff do you think? Thanks again for all the replies.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:01 pm

Shann1870 wrote:Thanks chaps - great response. Hadn't realised that Minifigs did such a large range. They seem promising but are they compatible with Perry/Foundry stuff do you think? Thanks again for all the replies.
Minifgs have their own distinctive style, so I'm going to say they're not likely to be compatible with Perry/Foundry. That's only likely to be a problem with men and (maybe) horses, though - their guns work just fine with gunners of other manufacturers. In the 15mms I have, the horses that came with the wagon were closer to other manufacturers, and I have plenty of limber horses to swap out if I have to.

If they're inexpensive enough, just use the wagon and leftover horses/gunners from other sets.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:42 am

Don't forget Old Glory. Although their horses are not to my tats they have some good wagons in their historical ranges including ambulances, mobile forges and general purpose.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
Dale
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Dale » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:54 am

Peter, I'll have a few Hinchliffe and Minifigs wagons with me for the LoGW game this weekend in Kirriemuir. I also have a fair number of sets still to make up. If I can find them I'll bring them too.

If you are going to use them as Markers for the area behind the artillery, I use 4/6 horse limbers or caissons to mark out the extremeties of the "forbidden area".
Der Alte Fritz
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by Der Alte Fritz » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:10 pm

Front Rank has some nice wagons in its 18th Century range. They also have the French Napoleonic limber teams in bicorn and in shako.

Other ranges mentioned that are good: Hinchcliffe, Old Glory, Bicorne and Perry AWI. If you can't find what you need in the Hinchcliffe range, then there is no hope for you as they have nearly everything. :lol:

the Minifig equipment will seem very small in comparison to all of these other ranges.