VII. Corps 1812-13

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

VII. Corps 1812-13

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Hello,

it appears that I will add the French 32nd Division to my Saxon soldiers. Researching now for a time it is not easy to find informations of this Division. It joined in parts the depleted Saxon Corps from October 1812 until January 1813. What I need to know is what colour pattern would have been in use, the 1806 still or allready the 1812? Also the informations on its Artillery is somewhat hazy. There would have been at lest 6 companies attached including 2 batteries 12pdr :shock: . I find this most unlikely.

If you have any other sources than Nafziger I would be very grateful for any information you can come up with.

Best regards

Günter
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Re: VII. Corps 1812-13

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:05 am

Günter,

I have Bowden's book on the Grande Armee of 1813, which has considerable detail on the 32d.

15 August 1813
32d Division
1st Brigade
1,4/35th Legere (formerly 1st Mediterranean Regiment—penal or “refractaire”)
1,3,4/132nd Ligne (formerly Regiment L’Ile-de-Re—penal or “refractaire”)

2nd Brigade
1,4/36th Legere (formerly Regiment de Belle-Isle—penal or “refractaire”)
1,3,4/131st Ligne (formerly Regiment de Walcheren—penal or “refractaire”)

3rd Brigade
3,4/133rd Ligne (formerly 2nd Mediterranean Regiment—penal or “refractaire”)
2,3/Wurzburg Regiment

Artillery
13/8th Foot
12th/1st Foot
Each with 4 6pdr guns and 2 5.5 inch howitzers

Corps Artillery reserve was one company of Saxon 12pdrs with 4 guns and 2 howitzers.

Interestingly, Bowden rates the two Legere regiments as “Crack” and the Wurzburgers as “Elite.” The other infantry are “Veteran Line” and the foot artillery “Crack.” The ratings are from the “Empire” series of games.

Ed
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:06 am

Thank You Ed,

According to some sources the 32nd Division was made up of what remains behind in the occupied german/prussian Territory and Penal units who tells something about "the rotten eggs put together in one basket"-Story containing POW's and deserters. With that in mind I would think that these units would never have gotten a colour not to say an eagle :wink:
Where Scott Bowden gots the info for a "crack"-status or even veterans remains hidden for me :shock:

Thanks anyway, if anyone has further info about the 32nd eventually in 1812 please feel free to post it here.

Cheers

Günter

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:01 pm

Gunter, I remember reading before when I was researching the 1812 capaign that when this division joined the Austro-Saxon army they were ranked as the worst unit there due to being penal units. There were reports of high rates of looting and theft from this division against their allies as well as the Russian peasants, there was also supposed to be a high desertion rate as well so how anyone could rate these troops as Elite or Veteran is beyond me. Probably just another Francophile wargamer thinking the French were invincible.
Barry didn't write them by any chance? :lol:
Cheers
Dave
Ed Youngstrom
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Ed Youngstrom » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:14 pm

Ed Youngstrom wrote:Found this about these units:

http://www.napoleon-series.org/cgi-bin/ ... d;id=26255
Ed,

Very interesting IMO.
Maybe because of the mentioned battle Bowden has come to his conclusion about their high rating :?

Further reading must be done.

Thanks so far for your help

Günter