Hope some might find it useful!

Cheers,

Burkhard
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Painting mud

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:11 pm

On bases I tend to use miniature paints flat Earth applied fairly thickly so as to leave brush marks. The same colour works well when dry brushed on vehicles & the lower legs of figures as well. The trick as ever is not to over do it. For serious mud & very muddy snow you really can't beat hot glue as with practice you can leave ruts & tire detail in it with ease.

That said I like the effect shown on the blog as I am not so much a fan of battles fought by parade perfect troops.

:evil: Ginger
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:03 am

Nice tutorial Burkhard 8)

As you probably know 'mud' has been one of my pet trademarks over the years so here are a couple of other pointw to ponder which I have experimented with:

I usually follow the method you yourself use in the first part of the tutorial but there is one natrual flaw with it (the eye is generally kind enough to forgive it). :

The lighter shade should be on the bottom and not the top! - mud(the newest mud) is - and - mud is darker than dried mud!

On clothing of a lighter hue: tans etc use a dark shade only OR you a colour like red leather but the same method.

Now this IS sad, but I often when visiting battlefields, go loking for muddy puddles or bits of exposed ground to check out the colour of the mud!

Waterloo has in fact a very distinct shade of almost cream-white clay which leaves milky puddles all over the place on the battlefield on a - day.
Some soil in south africa is very red, so the mud is a distict copper colour.

Just two examples..

Hope this has not 'muddied' the tutorial :roll:
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
14th Brooklyn
Colonel
Colonel

Post by 14th Brooklyn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 am

THX guys!

Interesting thoughts. barry I will try out the red leather on lighter uniforms. Regarding the colour of mud... I am just as sad. I still have 2 litres of sand from The D-Day Beaches here, so I can make sure I can get the colour right. :shock:

Cheers,

Burkhard