Cavalry Sqn's frontage and ranks

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Cavalry Sqn's frontage and ranks

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:53 pm

Hello forum. For the LoA/WSS period when cavalry sqn's charged were they in one rank or two? For a regiment did the sqn's charged all in one line or one after another?

For frontages was a sqn frontage one third of a foot battalion. I realize that different nation's battalions fought in different numbered ranks but in general.

Barry, for his ULB rules the sqn's are 1/3 but these are for the eye.

How about this for ULB v5, Barry. How about two stands for a french battalion repersenting that they used 5 ranks. Maybe a better idea for the WSS instead of LoA.

This is a great period.

cheers
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:35 am

Ed,

didn't quite understand the notation 1/3 :oops:

Squadrons would not have charged in a single rank. Can't give a precise figure for that maybe someone else could.

As for regiments charging.. originally in the WHC rules when I first saw them way back in 1990 cavalry charged in a single rank of 10-12 figures. This was a bit clumsy and also a bit ALL or nothing. I dev eloped the idea to allow them to charge in squadrons (thus the do I don't I decisions about feeding into a winning/losing melee situation became more significant).
In my adaptation of ULB into the Napoleonic period(Republic to Empire) I have allowed the option for multi squadron regiments to charge ALL squadrons at once in a sort of 'decisive moment' charge. I may add this option into ULB but my main rationale for leaving it out in the first place was that I felt the cavalry of the earlier period may not have had the training or discipline of those in the later period and perhaps were not as well suited to a well coordinated regimental level charge.

I am challenging myself as I write this and thinking maybe a contra agrument could be used .. in the earlier period the less sophisticated training levels may have compelled an all or nothing charge by the entire regiment.... hmmmm :idea:

Comments would be welcome from both students of Napoleonic warfare and that of the 17th century..
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:06 pm

Hello Barry,

What I meant by 1/3 is that in ULB's a Sqn is one third the size of a Infantry battalion. So if a battalion frontage is 3 stands then a Cav Sqn advancing in two ranks would be on a 1 stand frontage. In regardes to strenght 1/3 is 18 men = battalion, 6 men = cav sqn.

As how they fought on the field of battle lets take Blenheim; 5 English sqns routed the Elite French Regiment which had 8 sqns. I am thinking that all these sqns (both French and English) were engaged at the sametime.

cheers

Edward