First Look at Wargames Factory WSS Cavalry

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Sir William
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

First Look at Wargames Factory WSS Cavalry

Post by Sir William » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Thought some of the lads in the mess would enjoy these. There has been much said about the Wargames Factory WSS figures, including some by me, and not always complimentary. However, as my friend and "Wars of Louis Quatorze" co-host demonstrates, they can be very effective when well-painted. For those that choose to peruse Steve's blog, he has done an excellent job on some of the Infantry as well. Bear in mind, while assembly is required, 36 foot are $20 US and 12 mounted are $20 US. The Cavalry include four different torso's per sprue so that you can make Command, Dragoons, regular "Horse" and Cuirassiers. The pic's on Steve's blog can be enlarged as well for a much better-detailed view.

And Steve's blog (BTW - His classic flats are a treat as well!)

http://castlesoftin.blogspot.com/

Regards,

Bill
Sir William the Aged
www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com
lord marcus
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: First Look at Wargames Factory WSS Cavalry

Post by lord marcus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:19 am

Good review, although i would have included sprue shots and a somewhat detailed breakdown of them.
footslogger
Major
Major

Post by footslogger » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Nicely done. My big beef with these is the "pop-up" heads. I saw one person who cut the necks down so they didn't have this look, but I don't know how much work is involved in that.
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:11 pm

Rather nice I have some myself which I am building as a troop of French "light horse" for my Sharp Practice variant.

I did quite a bit of light conversion, I like playing like this with plastics, on them & mixed in some heads from the infantry as there are lots of spares if you buy any number boxes. I also find that the heads form other plastics mix in rather well.

I also note that I did not get the swan necked look though I did not trim the necks down beyond clearing off the remains of the sprue

:evil: Ginger
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:36 pm

Bill:

>>Thought some of the lads in the mess would enjoy these.<<

Yes, thanks for the images and comments. Have been somewhat distracted this past month ("Wife & Life", etc.), but am determined to get back to WSS (actually 1685 forward for me) the remainder of 2011.

Am able to budget several orders for Warfare Miniatures in the next two months, and yesterday purchased a couple of boxes of the WF cavalry.

>>And Steve's blog (BTW - His classic flats are a treat as well!)<<

Thanks again, flats, now that brings up nice images from the old memory banks!

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:55 pm

Has anyone tested to see if any of the heads from the infantry could be used on the cav? The reason I ask is that this could finally be a way to make any unit that uses a grenadier bearskin such as the Bavarian Lifeguard Grenadier zu Pferde. I've never tried converting metal figures before and I hate to have wastage given the price of lead nowadays.
Greg
Sir William
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Post by Sir William » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:29 pm

Yes, the heads, torsos and arms are all compatible. That means you can also create a Dragoon mounted drummer if you wish. Or use spare Cavalry arms with the Infantry sets, so that you can finally get a proper-looking sword for the dismounted officer, or a pistol for your Bavarian Grenadiers.

Bill
Sir William the Aged
www.warsoflouisxiv.blogspot.com
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:25 pm

Was in Phoenix yesterday and dropped by a new store for me, and low and behold they had one box of these guys. Got it home later in the day and opened it up and discovered that each spruce had 3 heads for the French - Grenadiers a Cheval. Always wanted to field this unit...et' the cool looking head gear...plus I have the flag!

Looking through the Halls CD for French Cav and Dragoons, I didn't notice any other unit wearing the unique head gear...I guess the Grenadiers a Cheval was the only unit to sport this headgear?

Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Cheriton
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Cheriton » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 pm

>>French - Grenadiers a Cheval. Always wanted to field this unit...et' the cool looking head gear...plus I have the flag!<<

I have had the unit for many years in my 1740s French Army, now I want to create the Maison du Roi (soft hats) for the late 1600s as well.

>>I guess the Grenadiers a Cheval was the only unit to sport this headgear?<<

I believe so, at least in the French Army (Spanish?). Perhaps more learned members can confirm or correct?

Cheers,

Michael
"Blessing of your heart you brew good ale."

~ Shakespeare