Irish Bits 1689 etc

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Irish Bits 1689 etc

Post by wdrenth » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:48 am

hello Edward,

Interesting question. The designation 2nd Regiment of Guards (or Foot Guards) is used predominantly in official papers during the WSS.
The official designation after 1670 was Coldsteam Regiment of [Foot] Guards, or more fully her Majesty's/the King's Coldstream Regiment of Foot Guards. Before 1670 the regiment was known as the Lord General's Regiment of Foot Guards (after the Duke of Albemarle), and before becoming guards in 1661 as Lord General's Regiment, or Monck's Regiment. One may also find the odd referral "the regiment of foot guards commanded by Lord Cutts", or something like that, but that is probably what you would find in narratives and such. In 1855 the regiment became known as Coldstream Guards, as we still have it today. So not much variation.

hope this helps.

cheers,
Wienand
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:09 am

Oireas wrote:
I think some of the re-enactors there were the models for Front Rank's figures... _________________
Russian James
Not sure what is meant by this but if you could enlighten me I would appreciate it????
Front Rank figures are well known for being big and chunky.
Cheers
Dave
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:25 pm

obriendavid wrote: Front Rank figures are well known for being big and chunky.
Cheers
Dave
Bit like me then...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:06 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:41 pm

Agree with Ray here. In my opinion Front rank manufacture the nicest sculpts. Entirely my personal opinion . I have more than 2000 .
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:55 pm

And why would you want to do that Ray?
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:02 pm

Churchill wrote:
Front Rank figures are well known for being big and chunky.
Cheers
Dave
What's with the petulant comment?
This is exactly what I'm talking about some of the comments posted on the forum as of late.
In my opinion Front Rank miniatures are good, well sculpted and detailed figures.
I will agree they are larger figures than most, but the same can be said about Reiver Castings and yet before Barry went into business with Warfare, he was contemplating changing his collection with Reiver Castings which are just as big and chunky. Ray.
P.S. Not a personal attack David, but you don't see me running down Warfare Miniatures do you :?:
Ray, at what point in my post did I say that Front Rank figures are not good? :roll:
I personally think they have a fantastic range of figures which are well sculpted and I have many of them in my own collections but they are bigger and chunkier than lots of other manufacturers.
You appear to be taking my comment out of context to what the original poster was asking, just for the sake of any arguement? where none exists. :roll:
Cheers
Dave
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm

I think the Warfare Miniatures range is great. It will probably be the most complete range for the Grand Alliance Period. The figures have character.

I think the Front Rank pre-1700 and WSS ranges are also excellent. Maybe being a bit chunkier makes them easier to paint - I need all the help I can get, I suck at painting.

It's the same about the recent disagreements on importance/interested of the two different sub-periods: LOA/GA vrs WSS/GNW. Too me it is all one great, interesting period - History wise, figure wise, painting wise, table top gaming wise.

The League of Augsburg Forum is the shining light / keeper of the flame for this period - lets not end up like some of the other nasty forums.

There should be no reason why I can't use FR figures with Warfare Flags and use BLB2 and take part on the forum with like minded individuals talking about our period. Or vice versa for that manner - Warfare Figures with GMT flags using Black Powder. From what I have read recently on the forum Danes and Saxons are the fashion this season.

I have been a member of this forum since 2005 and great appreciate the work Barry has done to increase the popularity of the period, Clarence's input, and all the other users that have shared information, ideas and enthusiasm.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:28 pm

Hear Him!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:02 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blucher
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Blucher » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:13 am

......'thought for today....'

Ray

For no other reason that you bought it up (and it would be the same if it had been anyone else) for my part, if Alec Brown was or was not a member of the forum (and I'm not sure either way whether he is or isn't?)...it should not make a jot of difference as to people's personal opinions about Front Rank figures. Many manufacturers have been praised and chastised by many individuals on this forum over the years, and not always about the figures but also service etc. Frequently the majority of comments have been to praise the efforts made by manufacturers to try to enhance our hobby....but sometimes 'howlers' will attract negative comments...and if these negative comments are in 'the majority' about a particular figure, book, ruleset and even an individual - then there is usually substance in the negativity quoted . There will always be some figure ranges that are bigger, fatter, slimmer, shorter, taller etc etc than others and we as humans will always have a favourites or least favourites from these manufacturers.....

...But we should not take as a personal attack, any comments about our personal favourite ranges/manufacturers that we do not agree with....and then go on to berate someone who made a comment like 'big and chunky'.....! For me this comment is so inoffensive, it's untrue....!!

People should have hopefully left this sort of 'guarded personal jealousy and affront'...back in the playground (about 40 years ago...!)....along with who makes the roundest marbles, my conkers been in vinegar longer than yours, my Wembley Trophy's a better ball than your 'Mitre', Addidas bags are more to scale than Gola bags....(but never have 'Elite' status...always Veteran rating - at best!)

Aid
j1mwallace
Major General
Major General

Post by j1mwallace » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:43 am

I too find that it is entirely up to person choice on the aesthetic appeal.
Several years ago I had a conversation with Rob from reiver castings that I didn't like some of his infantry castings (as i said to Rob,"officer with monkey face")
I did however very much like the fact that en masse the troops were full of movement.
Rather than strike me about the head and body,some of the figures were re done.
I think that the gist of my story is that we all have our personal choices,
I,m a kylie minogue type of guy but it doesn't mean that I cant appreciate Beyonce in a tight leotard!!
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:00 pm

I'm sorry to Tomas that this discussion seems to have been hijacked into a discussion over Front Rank figures which wasn't what you asked about, my jokey comment about the reinactors and Front Rank figures seems to have been taken as a personal insult by Ray :roll: :roll:

At no point was my answer aimed at the reinactors or Front Rank figures so could we please get back onto the original discussion please. If anyone wishes to discuss Front Rank figures could they please post a new topic.
Cheers
Dave
Gerryjd
Captain
Captain

Post by Gerryjd » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:25 pm

j1mwallace wrote:
I,m a kylie minogue type of guy but it doesn't mean that I cant appreciate Beyonce in a tight leotard!!
Jim,

The mental picture that conjurs up could now scar a whole new generation of wargamers, as well as some of the existing ones!!!! :shock: :D :shock:

Cheers,

Gerry :lol: :lol:
You may call it sarcasm........I, on the other hand, prefer to refer to it as a humorous observation!!! :-)
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:13 pm

Jim's used to scarring people... Guid Neebor's week in Dumfries... any excusing for a chibbing
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford