St. John's Gate at Limerick

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
quindia
General
General

St. John's Gate at Limerick

Post by quindia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:43 am

Following Barry's excellent example on the blog, I am planning on building my own city walls and gate, but based on St. John's Gate at Limerick (and a portion of the city behind it for that matter) rather than Derry.

I realize no one knows for certain what the gates would have looked like. I just want to be able to argue my point - especially since I am going to be writing about this on the LoA blog.

In John Childs' book The Williamite Wars in Ireland, he goes into some great detail about the height of the walls and the construction of a ditch, counterscarp,covered way, and glacias (all of which I am familiar with). He mentions the construction of two demilunes, one of which was outside St John's Gate. I assume that is not the same bit as Yellow Fort as this place is described as a redoubt 'just to the right of St. John's Gate'. The walls would be the original castle walls. The only thing I am unsure of is this...

"De la Vigne demolished the antique citadel within St. John's Gate replacing it with an earthwork large enough to mount six heavy cannon."

So for game purposes, I would construct the thing large enough for two model guns, but I'm not sure what this earthwork would look like. Do you they should be triangular bastions like other 'modern' forts of the time? It says the 'citadel within' the gate was replaced and I'm not sure what to make of that. It sounds like the earthwork is connected to the old walls rather than outside them.

I have all of the references you can find on Google, not of which have given me the answers I am looking for, so I thought I would asked this esteemed community for information or even opinions. The gate will be one of the centerpieces of the display - if I have to just go with my best guess, I will, but I thought I'd ask here first.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!
toggy
Major General
Major General

Re: St. John's Gate at Limerick

Post by toggy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:54 am

Hi Clarence

Not sure if you've seen this but might be of some use

http://www.limerickcity.ie/media/Media,4040,en.pdf

Look forward to seeing the end results.

BOB
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:28 am

I have NOT seen that and it is exactly what I was looking for. The initial map has an outline of the defenses around the gate and I think I can do a decent job from that.

Certainly if anyone else has ideas keep them coming, but I can get a layout started with this.

Thanks, Toggy!
toggy
Major General
Major General

Post by toggy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 am

Glad to be of help Clarence, here's another map

http://preachan.tripod.com/icons/siege1_jpg.jpg

Bob
We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction. Macarthur, Douglas
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:05 am

toggy wrote:Glad to be of help Clarence, here's another map

http://preachan.tripod.com/icons/siege1_jpg.jpg

Bob
The link goes nowhere Bob :roll:
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:29 am

Opened for me...

Yes, I have that map, but the gate was shown by a dot... That's why I was still looking!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:03 pm

My fault :oops:

Had to remove the http...
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Even more from the Old Limerick City Journal...

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Library/Loca ... ckJournal/

Vol. 28 is the '1690 Siege Edition'!
arthur1905
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by arthur1905 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:16 pm

Clarance,

I have copies of 1690's maps of Limerick, they would not go through on the site, i have tried to e-mail them through to you.

cheers
Mark Shearwood