Imperial Kurassiers: Helmet worn only vs Turks?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Imperial Kurassiers: Helmet worn only vs Turks?

Post by huevans07 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:28 am

Does anyone know whether the Imperial Kurassiers wore their pot helmets against the French in the WSS period? Or was this equipment kept for use only against the Turks?
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:06 am

Thanks as always, Iain.

BTW, do you mind me asking where you found that piece of info? My knowledge of sources in this period is very lacking.
huevans07
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by huevans07 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:25 pm

Danke Schoen, Iain. And fortunately, my local library has a copy. I will brandish my trusty German dictionary and go visit.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:15 am

Hugh,

Although Wrede is a valuable source for the lineage of Austrian regiments, the same cannot be said for uniforms and equipment. One would have to check Wrede's sources in order to trace the origin of the information.

I would not get hung up on the date of 1705. Cuirassier regiments had the hat for years prior to 1705. As Iain has pointed out, it was more of what the regimental commander decided to do than any official regulation or order. In addition, orders of this type were issued at the Army level rather than at the State level. I don't believe there was any official State policy that prescribed either the helmet or hat. It was more common practice. Also, in many cases regulations, if issued, often just confirmed common practice, and even these were often ignored.
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:31 pm

Normally, the State provided arms and armor or should it be armour :) (cuirass and helmets) not the individual colonels. Uniform items (coats, kamisols, breeches, etc.) were, as Iain pointed out, the responsibility of the individual colonels at least in most armies; although, this too was changing.