Please review my WSS unit width calculations

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
18th Century Guy
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by 18th Century Guy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:54 pm

Iain, in your math you had 102 servants removed from the British figure to get a truer number. Are your numbers for the French, Austrians (and all others really) also showing a reduction of servants? I just want to be able to compare apples to apples in the numbers. Thank you.
hwiccee

Post by hwiccee » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:18 am

Dan: By 'checkerboarding' I have assumed that this is when you have units in a second line that are deployed behind a gap in the first line, rather than behind a unit in the first line. So you get something like the efffect you would get if you look at the balck squares on a chess or checkers board.

Hugh: I am similar. I left Wales when I was young but in my case to move about 30 miles across the border. but as they say "You can take the boy out of Wales, but you can't take Wales out of the boy" :)
danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:05 pm

Nick,

Based on your definition, I don't believe the Swedish left flank formed in "checkerboard". In fact it was a mixed line of cavalry and infantry with cavalry deployed between the infantry. The second line was also similarly deployed. Check out the map in Frost for a clearer idea. Of course, we are all entitled to our own conclusions.

Dan
hwiccee

Post by hwiccee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:08 am

I don't believe the Swedish left flank formed in "checkerboard". In fact it was a mixed line of cavalry and infantry with cavalry deployed between the infantry. The second line was also similarly deployed.
I agree