Blenheim OOB

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:13 am

No Ray,

the 2nd of Foot (Modern: The Queen's) were actually Piercy Kirke's old regiment - Kirke's Lambs of Sedgemoor Rebellion infamy. At the time of
Blenheim they would have been known as Colyear's or Lord Portmore's.

The Coldstream's would not have been known by that title during our period. Their official designation was: 2nd Regiment of Foot Guards.

It is quite common for writers and historians to use late period designations such as 4th Foot, 23rd, Royal Welch etc when describing the period 1689-1714 but this retro-referencing is actually confusing.These titles have no meaning during our period. Regiments were known by the name of their colonel and the official adoption of a number system came much later. Even during the 45 rebellion British line regiments were primarily identified by their colonel's name.

Harking back to the Dragoon/Dragoon guards thing.. same rationale applies. These units did not carry those designations, they were known only by the colonel's name: Wood's, Lumley's Cadogan's etc.

The BLB classification for ELITE is for prestige or battle hardened troops. Before Blenheim many of these regiments may not have fought since about 1697. I would have no problem classifying some of them up to ELITE for say Ramillies, Oudenaarde or Malplaquet but early war... I wouldn't :D

Again hope this is useful.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Blenheim OOB

Post by Churchill » Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:41 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:52 pm

Can i put my oar in?

Again mentioning the 'Guards' title for the British horse. As you say Barry, these regiments did not carry these titles at this time, and when they were awarded this they still were never considered as guards.

This honour was afforded to the Household units only. I think there were only three foot and two or three mounted units at this time. ( 1st Guards (Grenadiers after Waterloo only), 2nd Coldstream, 3rd Scots. Again, only known as 1st, 2nd, 3rd Footguards at this time. Lifeguards and Horseguards). The Irish and Welsh guards coming much later.

I may be wrong, but i think the Dragoon Guards regiments were the old 'horse' units as opposed to 'dragoon' units. The goverment has always messed about with unit titles etc, and are still doing it now with the continued horror of amalgamation!

I remember an odd chap who always insisted on his Napoleonic British Dragoon Guards as being guard status. So fielding upto eight heavy horsed guards. He even went so far as to say it was legitimate to have the Napoleonic British Horse Guards at Waterloo wearing cuirasses, as they wore them in Flanders in 1793 so could be allowed in Napoleonic rules!!!

What do you say to that?..............

On the subject of certain British units being of higher status, yet not super human, i agree. The British army in this period was still a fledgling force and not seriosly considered. It was at this time that many units, still without their later better known titles, cut their teeth and started to earn theses reputations.

The Foot Guards missed out on many a battle honour because of never being deployed 'east of suez'.

The 48th Foot earned a great reputation in the Peninsular War by steadying the line at Talavera..........after the Guards had got a bloody nose.

Sergeant Morris of the 73rd, in his excellent biography of the Napoleonic Wars, bemoans the fact that certain 'fashionable' regiments (the guards) received too much credit.

I have mentioned earlier on this site about the aborted British attack on Bergen op Zoom in 1813 (see Sgt Morris) , and how a number of British regiments got into trouble and had to surrender en masse. One of these being the famous 1st Foot, Royal Scots. However, this was the regiments 3rd or 4th Battalion, consisting of 'youths'. Not the same unit that had served with distinction in the Peninsular, New Orleans and Waterloo! This newer battalions colours are currently hanging in a Paris museum!

The unfortunate 69th Foot had a tendancy of losing it's colours and being ridden over!

The 95th Foot was the famous Rifles in the Napoleonic wars, but after this conflict was taken out of the 'line' and formed with the 60th Foot into the Rifle Brigade. A new 95th, Derbyshire Regiment?, was formed.

It is a well known fact that Napoleons Guard at Waterloo was beaten by the British Footguards. But what about the British light infantry unit that wheeled and took the grognards in flank? To say nothing of the allied units.

In the Peninsular War, the British Light Division had a fearsome reputation. The 1st Division was nicknamed the 'Gentlemens Sons' because of the guards units in it. Another Division, (4th?) was known throughout the army as THE Division, and was made up of 'line' units.

So, after that long winded dandle through the 'ordinary' regiments, i'd agree and say that because a unit is designated 'guard', it doesn't neccessarily mean it is that good.

Remember, those dastardly Maison du Roi got a good thumping off line cavalry at Blenheim!

Please don't let me give you the impression that i am anti guards. There ain't anybody in the world can put on a show like trooping the colour!
Churchill
General
General

Blenheim OOB

Post by Churchill » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:32 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pabblo41
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

OOB for Blenheim

Post by pabblo41 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:39 am

Hi

Just a note the Maison Du Roi were not a Blenheim. The 16 companies of Gendammes were, and this is the unit that got "surprised" by Palmes charge. This did not stop them from charging several more time during the battle (at least 6 in total during the course of the day). Apparaently after the battle relatively few of them lived to see France again.

The Maison Du Roi first battle was Ramallies where they managed to halt 48 squadrons of Dutch Cavalry before being overwhelmed by Marlborough coup de gras.
Pabblo41
jimmigoggles
Corporal
Corporal

Post by jimmigoggles » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Thats right.....i was getting the Gendarmes and Maison du Roi mixed up! :oops:

Well Ray, i've heard of some rules lawyers but never seen when so cheaky as to try and use a 12pdr battery instead of slingers in Hannibals army for WAB!!! :P

I feel it is as much fun researching your army as it is painting and playing with it. So it is commendable that you would want to be as accurate as you can be being new to the period.

That's just the flavour Barry is trying to promote with his rules. Fairness and good gamesmanship...........however i seem to remember him not being such a gentleman when there was only one naan bread left on the table!.......... :o

I'd better do some more research on the French Household troops myself now!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:52 am

Come on Dean!
a wargame is a wargame :lol:

but NAN BREAD is something far more important!!!!! :twisted:

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Blenheim OOB

Post by Churchill » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me paints good
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by Me paints good » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:48 am

Osprey shows the Scots Fusileers as red coats, red facings and grey breeches with yellow socks....the illustration I have doesn't show gaiters. The whole regiment also wore blue fusileer caps lined yellow with the regimental badge. Hoe this helps.
Churchill
General
General

Blenheim OOB

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:08 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:32 am

Nice Pic! do you know who painted it Ray? I like the dark shadows style on the face.

The gaiters thing... hmmmmm....

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Painted Figure

Post by Churchill » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:42 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Churchill
General
General

Horse Breeds

Post by Churchill » Thu May 15, 2008 11:42 am

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu May 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Ray.. I met my Waterloo with your Horse breeds question :oops: ... but I knew a man who would know :wink:
And he did :lol:

Henry Ford
Churchill
General
General

Horse Breeds

Post by Churchill » Thu May 15, 2008 1:51 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.