The 1690 Siege of Quebec City

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

The 1690 Siege of Quebec City

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Gents, please find below a Free Osprey article on the Seige of Quebec 1690.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/article ... ebec_city/

cheers
Ed
Captain of Dragoons
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:49 pm

Thanks for posting Ed.

Great article, love things colonial 1620-1794, shame the earlier stuff isn't gamed much here in the UK :( I must get round to painting my stuff up that I got planned for this campaign, would make a great demo game 8)

Regards

Stuart
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:26 am

Yes, it would make a good small scale game with lots of militia type troops and native allies. :wink:

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:56 am

I've already started writing an article on it converting it into a BLB scenario!!.. To good not to have a go and thanks for posting it!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:42 pm

Hello Barry, great to hear. :)

I wonder if the New England troops - fighting in the European manner - had any pikes with them. :?:

Edward
Captain of Dragoons
DaveCrowell

Post by DaveCrowell » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:30 pm

Thank you very much for the article. Quebec City is relatively close to me and I knew nothing about this.

Colonial history was not well taught when I was a lad. I am finding a lot of facinating local history, King Philip's War, Pontiac's Rebellion, the AWI, the F&IW. etc.
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Hello Dave, I'm in Kingston, Ontario myself. If you live close to Quebec you should checkout Artisans du Bas-Canada (see link below). They are a toy soldier shop in old Quebec City that carry 60mm scales for King and Country and John Jenkins. Both those producers have lines in AWI and the FIW.

I myself have become more interested in our local North American military history such as the FIW, AWI, War of 1812 and the ACW.

cheers
Edward

http://www.toysoldiersclub.com/
Captain of Dragoons
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:06 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote:Hello Barry, great to hear. :)

I wonder if the New England troops - fighting in the European manner - had any pikes with them. :?:

Edward
My precise thought Edward
Osprey 267 The British Army 1660-1704 shows a pikeman of the Coldstream Guards in Virginia in 1680 with a pike and says that troops moved to the Colonies at that time were equipped as units in England.

Would like a little more evidence though.

Dave Crowell, if you are Canadian, sorry for thinking you were a US citizen :oops: I do actually know the difference being half Canadian myself :roll:

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:29 pm

barr7430 wrote:I've already started writing an article on it converting it into a BLB scenario!!.. To good not to have a go and thanks for posting it!
Barry, I have a copy of 'Count Frontenac and New France under Louis XIV' by Francis Parkman which covers all the actions of this period if you are interested in borrowing it?

Cheers
Dave
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:27 am

yes please Dave!

Henry Ford
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:57 am

If you don't come through to the club or I come to EK then I will bring it with me to Partizan. This could make an interesting display as would some of the other actions, LoA figures mixed in with Indians, now that would be unusual.

Cheers
Dave
DaveCrowell

Post by DaveCrowell » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:44 am

I am not a Canadian, although the Ottawa gaming club keeps trying to make me one). I live a stone's throw from the border.

Come to think of it I am closer to Kingston than Quebec.
parkinspieces
Major
Major

Post by parkinspieces » Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:24 pm

Dave, re poss. demo games, couldn't agree more, my thought's exactly.

Saved a great article from an edition of the French Tradition magazine about the history of the Compagnies de la Marine with some nice colour illustrations showing dress for 1690's :lol: Just as well for the pics as I can't read French :oops:

Thought about basing troops on individual bases to use for skirmish games and then making movement bases to put 6 on a base for BLB, but as Barry is already writing up a scenario for the action at Quebec, I'll wait to see what the master suggest's :wink:

Stuart
Bazza

Post by Bazza » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:52 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote: I wonder if the New England troops - fighting in the European manner - had any pikes with them. :?:

Edward
As Barry mentioned according to Osprey the troops from Britain that formed Jeffreys Regiment were equipped with the normal mix of pike and matchlock.

However, according to Chartland, the French colonial troops in Canada were equipped contrary to European practice with all the men issued Flintlocks. This was due to local terrain considerations (the lack of country suitable for cavalry) and the type of warfare to be fought. He does say that La Marine weren't adept at woodland warfare during this period. They were trained to fight as European infantry. The militia were far better in broken and wooded country.

As for New England troops its more guesswork.
I understand that it took longer to train Pikemen than musketeers and would imagine that the militia would lack the time and inclination to train with them especially as the French had no mounted troops at all in Canada during this period.

As the New England troops were raised from among the Militia I can't see that this changed much.

Also the Matchlock/Flintlock would seem a more prudent choice of weapon if you planned forging through thick forest against an enemy who would prefer to skirmish against you.

Hope that helps

Bazza
simon
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by simon » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:48 am

Captain of Dragoons wrote:Hello Barry, great to hear. :)

Edward
I believe that the Europeans based in the colonies were organised on similar lines as those left behind. The pikes, however, would be next to useless in wooded terrain and I remember reading somewhere, sorry can't remember where, that short pikes may have been used and I assume they were cut down.

Bazza probably nearer the mark and the troops would be mostly firearm armed.

Afew links I have found

http://books.google.com/books?id=thXV8J ... &ct=result

http://mackays1626.com/Site/BritishRegu ... 4-683.html