Grenadier or not to Grenadier?

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Darkman
Major
Major

Post by Darkman » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:01 pm

Just wondered if anyone knows if every country in the WSS had grenadiers as part of their battalions.
Reason I ask is that I am doing the forces of Hessel Kassel and although there is mention of grenadiers, any drawings are from a later period.
I know there is a specific grenadier battalion but wondered because of this did other regiments have them. At the moment I am creating my units without them.

Any help appreciated
Churchill
General
General

Post by Churchill » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:37 pm

Hi Darkman,

I'm no expert and I know very little on the Hessel Kassel regiments during the WSS.I myself am doing the 14 British Battalions present at the Battle of Blenhiem.I'm using Front Rank figures and for the Line battalions I'm using their Fusilier figures as Grenadiers.Two of these for each battalion placed in the front rank on the extreme right flank.Two Battalions were the Scots and Welsh Fusiliers and these battalions will be all Fusilier figures.I'm only using the Grenadier figures for the 1st Foot Guards and you can see photo's of these on my Blenheim OOB thread.
During this period some europeon countries used converged Grenadier Battalions, but I would suggest only 10% of all battalions fielded.To represent this I would field the other battalions with no Grenadiers.

Hope this is of some help...........Ray.

danschorr
Major
Major

Post by danschorr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:00 pm

On page 89 of the Hall book it indicates that the Grenadier Regiment was formed from a battalion of the Guard and the grenadier companies of the other regiiments. Therefore, no grenadiers in the other infantry regiments.

Hope this helps.

Dan