Basing for 15mm

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
gensdarmes
Private
Private

Basing for 15mm

Post by gensdarmes » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:27 am

What are the BLB basing conventions for 15mm? Unless I've missed something, all of the discussion I've seen has given base dimensions for 28mm. I'm interested in purchasing the rules for 15mm, but I need to weigh that decision against the fact that all of my 15s are based for WRG/Ga Pa, and I suspect that I'd have to rebase. I'm not averse to that, but I've got some squadrons of yellow-coated Imperial Fels Dragoons that need to be based soon.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:07 pm

Gendarmes,

no need to rebase. I specifically wanted to avoid that for people wishing to use the rules. The units are made up of 3 x 6 figure firing groups. If you have units of smaller or large sizes just ensure they fire in groups of 6. I recommend basing 15mm figures on half of the frontage of the 28mm stuff so 7.5mm for infantry 10mm for cavalry.Some of the larger figures may have to go on slightly wider frontages but this is NOT a rules critical issue.

Hope this helps

B
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
gensdarmes
Private
Private

Post by gensdarmes » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:06 pm

Thanks very much. It was helpful, indeed!
Churchill
General
General

Basing for 15mm

Post by Churchill » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:25 am

Hi Gendarmes,

You'll find that the base sizes with these rules are very flexible in that when they were first used the base size was for 25mm figures (45mm frontage by 50mm depth) as Front Rank and Reiver make 28mm figures the base size can be changed to 50mm x 50mm for infantry and 60mm x 60mm for cavalry.Six infantry figures to a base in two ranks of three and three cavalry figures to a base in single line.
For 15mm I'd just half the base size e.g. 25mm x 25mm for infantry and 30mm x 30mm for cavalry.

Happy Gaming.............Ray.

gensdarmes
Private
Private

Post by gensdarmes » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:30 pm

Hello Ray,

Thanks very much for your advice. The recommended frontages and depths conform to those for WRG foot and horse in close order, if memory serves, and should be okay for most of the smallish 15s, like EB. I seem to recall problems in mounting my old Essex herreruelos in close order (a bit fiddly), so I'll probably go with the slightly wider "order" frontage for horse. In any event, I won't have to rebase. Good gaming,

Gensdarmes