The Road to Perdition

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

The Road to Perdition

Post by CoffinDodger » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Gentlemen,

I have just embarked on what will be my first army for this period. It will be French. I have looked carefully at Churchill's Blenheim OOB thread for inspiration and have been positively sickened by the standard of painting. I can seriously imagine that guy staying up 'till 3.00am waxing the moustaches on his Prussian grenadiers.

I have also noticed that quite a few of the regular contributors to this site are professional figure painters and have decided that this will not deter me. I lived in Papua New Guinea for some twenty years and used to gloat over Barry's articles in WARGAMES illustrated and again, the standards were amazing. Barry, you set the bar very high. Once again, this will not deter me.

What you will get in this thread is the story of how an amateur will go about creating his force and yes, I will submit images as and when they are ready so, no laughing up there in the three-and-nines please.

I am looking at three brigades of infantry, one of which will be Irish in the French service. Each brigade will consist of four regiments. There will be 24 squadrons of horse and probably six artillery pieces. From what I have read so far, this would seem to be the correct proportion. I have taken delivery of my first two foote regiments from Copplestone Castings, each of 21 figures and the first of these will become Regiment Picardie. I took advantage of Mark’s weekend Christmas special offer of 15% off! The flags I have obtained from Reiver Rob, who was kind enough to resize them to 50mm x 50mm. After some careful thought, my bases will be from Flames of War. I will use their 65mm x 50mm large base for each normal infantry stand with the leading edge being 50mm giving a depth of 65mm. Their medium base will provide a pike stand that holds three figures, again with a leading edge of 50mm but with a depth of 32mm. These stands will have the corresponding magnetic bases to give some heft and secure them should I play an away fixture. This configuration actually looks quite impressive.

As time progresses, I will probably source figures from more than one supplier to give variety as long as they are reasonably compatible with those above. I had originally thought of buying all the figures in one go but, having been forced to do that when I lived in PNG and thinking back on the mountain of white metal that arrived (about 500 x 40mm Perry American Civil War figures from Foundry’s now discontinued range) and eventually feeling that painting them became a chore rather than a pleasure, I have decided to buy a couple of regiments or squadrons at a time and finish those before getting some more.

As to painting, my eyesight and skills are definitely not those of a professional so, I have gone down the “Dip” road but will apply the dip with a brush rather than risk dropping the little buggers into the tin.

So, Gentlemen, wish me luck as I carry on; I will keep you posted.

Kindest regards,

Jim
Last edited by CoffinDodger on Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I can assure you, Gentlefolk, they look better from a distance."
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:33 pm

Jim,

we look forward to your progress with interest!

PLease post as and when.

Top Tip if you are interested; I have used the FoW bases too in the past mostly for WW2 figure groups in 28mm. Just be careful when applying your basing materials - heavy coats of plaster/tetrion/filler will warp them and the plastic is quite soft. If you use those kind of materials try getting something that you know will not contract on drying. Alternatively, once the figures are glued/milliputted onto the bases coat the base in a layer of PVA and sprinkle some very fine sand on it. Glue larger rock on later.

It may save you some heartache!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:23 am

Good luck Jim with your project :)

Which period are your regiments going to be rasied from :?: The Grand Alliance War or the Spanish Succession.

cheers
Edward
Last edited by Captain of Dragoons on Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain of Dragoons
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:57 am

Ah, Jim... I have only narrowly avoided falling to this period (well, ok I painted two battalions), mostly because I usually have to paint two armies to be able to get in a game! When Copplestone comes out with cavalry, it might be enough to pull me in too!

I try to follow the same method you mentioned when approaching a new period these days, normally buying only enough models for a couple of units at a time...

I look forward to seeing the project progress!
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:13 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote: ...Which period are your regiments going to be rasied from :?:
Edward,

Definitely the Grand Alliance period. Copplestone's figures are eminently suited to this. I am hoping someone comes out with a sculpt of Luxembourg (complete with hump) to lead my little army.

Thanks to all the well-wishers and thanks to Barry for the tip; I didn't honestly think FoW bases could warp.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I HAVE TESTED EVERYTHING TO DESTRUCTION :twisted:

Henry Ford
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 am

Hello Jim

This link may be of interest

http://www.spanishsuccession.nl/french_army.html

although the site is decaded to the Spanish Succession if you click on the links at the bottom of the above page it leads to descripitions to the service history of some of the regiments during the Grand Alliance / Nine Years War.

cheers
Edward
Last edited by Captain of Dragoons on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain of Dragoons
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Edward,

Excellent site. Thank you for the heads up. On another note, having just seen some comments on the subject of who has painted what, I am now beginning to realise why they call this forum "FIGHTINGTALK" and can assure all of you that any images I put up will be all my own work.

You will know this to be true when you see the quality of the painting, as no other bugger in their right mind would admit to it. :P

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:18 pm

Gentlemen,

First of all, thanks to Churchill who showed my how to figure out Photobucket. I don't know how to get this any bigger. So, this is my first regiment - a big boy did it and ran away - seriously, I am reasonably pleased with it considering I hit sixty running this year and my eyesight is pretty poor.

Well, one down and eleven more to go... and that's just Louis Carthorse's infantry.

If any of you good people know how to work this Photobucket thing, I would appreciate it if you could share its mysteries. AHAAA - IT'S WORKED!

The Dip thingy makes them look a bit dirty but I actually quite like that. Any suggestions and comments will be most welcome and taken in the spirit they are meant.

Regards,

Jim

Jim O'Neill.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:52 pm

Fine looking fellows Jim! :D

I think you can be proud of this unit.. look forward to seeing their brothers in arms and hearing of their exploits on the field!

Henry Ford
Heneborn
Major
Major

Post by Heneborn » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:38 pm

For someone who can't paint you paint pretty good!

You've achieved a really nice white with the dip!
Captain of Dragoons
Major General
Major General

Post by Captain of Dragoons » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:53 pm

Nice looking regiment. How did you find painting the Copplestone's.

cheers
Edward
Captain of Dragoons
Churchill
General
General

First Regiment of Foot

Post by Churchill » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:39 pm

Ray.
Last edited by Churchill on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Captain of Dragoons wrote: ...How did you find painting the Copplestone's?
Edward,

Actually they were a pleasant surprise; the detail is finely etched and the castings are extremely clean. I invested in an "Optivisor" from Front Rank and that meant I could actually see what I was painting. The downside was that it frightened the Bejasus out of my youngest when he came in to see what I was doing.

Jim
Jim O'Neill.
CoffinDodger
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Re: First Regiment of Foot

Post by CoffinDodger » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:48 pm

Churchill wrote: ...Is the regiment O'Neil's as you said you were doing first???
Ray,

I'm afraid not. I thought I'd get a few "practice runs" in on the Froggies before I committed to the ancestors. :idea:

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Regards,

Jim
Jim O'Neill.