inniskilling foot regiments (uniform/flags), 1690

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

inniskilling foot regiments (uniform/flags), 1690

Post by john_de_courcy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:30 am

I have decided the next regiment I am going to paint my Boyne project is one of the 3 Inniskilling foot regiments. At the moment I am tending towards modelling Colonel Tiffin's regiment first.

I just thought I would share my thoughts and approach to the unit so far as I am sure others out there might know a good deal more than me about this or can provide additional information or thoughts.

Obviously I am trying to model what the regiments might have been like at the time of the battle of the Boyne.

Uniform

I am assuming in general that all Inniskilling foot regiments will essentially have the same uniform

For Tiffin's regiment Walton states the unit had (lifting this from the sixteen ninety) blog: “Inniskilling Foot” grey coats. Grey coats in 1689. Two companies’ worth of red coats obtained in 1689.

Walton also taken from the sixteen ninety blog:-
*When they [the 27th] had reduced a body of James' troops to surrender at Belturbet in June they made it an especial condition that the enemy should surrender all the 'red coats' they had: and they obtained on that occasion enough red coats to clothe two companies; but when they got their new uniform from england it turned out to be grey." 66
Lawson on the other hand provides this as the uniform “First Regiment of Foot of Inniskilling” red coats, blue breeches, waistbelts, blue surtouts lined blue.
I believe this is based on what was 'ordered' for the regiment.

I have decided to tend towards Walton's description for the uniform of Tiffin's and the Inniskilling foot in general and paint them as a standard unit

My approach is going to be to paint the units lightly militia style look in grey coats of varying shades, something similar to the what is in the image below (this is on the royal irish rangers website but I don't anything about the image itself).

i.e. grey coat/cuffs (of varying shades, maybe the odd brown thrown in), off white cravat, black or brown hat, grey or brown breeches and grey wool stockings.

Officer/Ensigns I plan to paint in a (dark) red something like the mounted officer in the picture.

For Tiffins unit I am considering adding in some red coats to represent the captured coats from Belturbet (maybe around 4 figures)

Other images of interest

I found this depiction of the uniform on the Inniskilling museum webiste. It also points towards grey but does seem to maybe be using some artistic licence on the colours

The museum also has this as an image in the uniforms section. I am taking it as a sample of what one of the shades of grey may have been like

Unit Type

I did IM Barry a little bit about this but, I am thinking of adding in more pike for some if not all of these units. I am sure they would have had some muskets especially given the loot from Belturbet.

In terms of Tiffin's regiment. I am still debating whether to have 3 bases of shot and 1 pike or make the command base, pike as well.

Flag

I did find an earlier discussion about this on the forum in which the only real flag suggestion for the unit was the St Georges Cross. At present I am thinking one standard bearer holding this, unless anyone would have other flag suggestions?

Kris
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Re: inniskilling foot regiments (uniform/flags), 1690

Post by john_de_courcy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:39 pm

This is a work in progress picture of some inniskilling pike men showing how I am doing the grey uniform in various shades. Will probably mix some brown hats in the next lot of figures and maybe the odd brown coat.

Unfortunately a slight delay in figure supply means I will have to wait a few days before I can continue with the regiment. Still it means I will have to actually finish off the pike men for Hanmer's regiment visible in the background, which is what I should have been doing first ;)

Kris
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:07 pm

These look great Kris. Sorry about the delay, I am afraid the y are going out the door quicker than we are ordring them. We are still trying to find the rhythm of demand/supply and obviously there is a lead time on casting but a delivery is actually overdue here. Should have been with us a week ago so wondering what is going on with the post. Will of course keep you posted and we will POST immediately we have the restock.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by john_de_courcy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:48 pm

No problem Barry, it is great that they are selling well!

I will probably adjust my purchasing strategy to make sure I plan further in advance, (maybe keep spare figures for 2 regiments as opposed to painting one, and ordering the next one when finishing off the current unit as I had been doing)
EvilGinger
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:29 pm

Nice work, which reminds me I need to get some more but I am working through my 18th century lead an plastic pile before I add to it. I will add that I painted all of the warfare stuff first except for the a couple of packs of officers who are command for my plastics pile.

:evil: Ginger
Last edited by EvilGinger on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Just looked again, really like that grey Kris. That's it.. I'm doing my own regiment of the same!

I emailed you incidentally with details re your reply to Gwen...

Henry Ford
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by john_de_courcy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:54 pm

EvilGinger wrote:Nice work, which reminds me I need to get some more but I am working through my 18th century lead an plastic pile before I add to it. I will add that I painted all of the warfare stuff first except for the a couple of packs of officers who are command for my plastics pile.

:evil:

Once I finish the John Hanmer's pike men I will be down to just 3 pike men standing to paint! (I am using mostly pike men advancing for the Inniskilling). These will be painted as whatever I decide my 4th regiment will be and then I will be out of lead for the period and probably finish some ww2 stuff or even take a break for a day or two to recharge
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by john_de_courcy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:01 pm

barr7430 wrote:Just looked again, really like that grey Kris. That's it.. I'm doing my own regiment of the same!

I emailed you incidentally with details re your reply to Gwen...

Glad you like it that much, to do one of your own, I actually started from 4 different grey paints to end up with 4 shades of almost the same thing ;)

I do really think the grey suits the unit and it will have quite a nice distinct look when finished even if painted in a slightly militia style. I think this look will be the type of thing I will do for all 3 foot regiments at the boyne (bar perhaps some red coats for Tiffins). I might even do the same thing for the Dragoons when I eventually get to them.
yar68
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by yar68 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:24 pm

Great painting, the grey's look very nice, I'll look forwrd to seeing them all together painted up.
Ray

Yay...I say yay..............Yay!

http://onelover-ray.blogspot.com/
flags_of_war
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by flags_of_war » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:42 pm

Welldone mate they look great. Can't wait to see them finished.
pete17
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by pete17 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:54 pm

hi, here's a reply I received from Richard Bennett researcher from the Inniskilling regiment museum which I thought might be of some use:

Thank you for your email regarding information on the flags of the
Inniskilling troops from 1689-1691. The Museum has a tightly wound flag on a staff which is purported to be the flag of the Inniskilling Dragoons at the period. It cannot be unwound due to its fragility and could disintegrate. Tradionally the Inniskilling Regiments marched under the Flag of St. George, and this appeared on the earliest colours c.1750.

The first documented use of the three towers/castle motif appears to be from 1747. Nice figures looking forward to seeing the finished unit.

regards Pete
john_de_courcy
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by john_de_courcy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks for the information Pete, it is very useful.

If you have any other information on the Inniskilling regiments foot or the dragoons, I'd love to hear it. I am not tackling the Dragoons for a while yet but I had been planning to do them in a similar style to the foot with differing shades of grey coats and the like.

My regiment is still on hold at the moment, but the additional figures for the unit should arrive any day now :)

Kris
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:39 pm

watch the post Kris, they are in the machine somewhere!

Henry Ford