Need comments on Austrian (Imperial) cavalry

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Justin Penwith
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Need comments on Austrian (Imperial) cavalry

Post by Justin Penwith » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:51 am

Gentles,

I am working on adapting BLB2 to an imagi-nation campaign. A portion of the campaign involves the players selecting certain characteristics, which determine forces available for army selection.

To that end, I have looked at the Anglo-Dutch OOBs, but have little to go on for the Austrians, which would really be the Imperial Army. Anyone have links or details? My budget does not currently allow me to go purchase sources, so whatever you can suggest that does not run counter to my fiscal reality would be appreciated.

As for the comments. Put on your thinking outside the box caps for a few moments. Could certain general rules be applied to English and Austrian/Imperial armies based on their OOBs. The Austrian info I have comes from Prince Eugen's/Eugene's wing at Blenheim.

It would appear that the English have no truly heavy horse, in the way of cuirassiers (yes, I know they didnt't have any, follow my trail of thought), but rather relied on "horse" and then had some "dragoons." Whereas the Austrians at Blenheim had a good measure of cuirassiers with the remainder being dragoons, with but zfew regiments of what could be compared to English "horse."

Would those of you who are knowledgable agree that this was a general rule for these armies, or was this an exception, particularly for the Austrians/Imperials.
I am a wargamer; I wargame. I paint wargaming miniatures and, every so often, I blog about it at : http://royalistroundhead.blogspot.com/
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Re: Need comments on Austrian (Imperial) cavalry

Post by Rob Herrick » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:15 am

Start with the bulk download of the Nafziger collection: http://www.alternatewars.com/CARL/Nafgizer_CARL.htm

(it's MUCH faster to download than to go through the US Army CSGE Site)

That should give you a lot of OBs to work with.
With Gen'l Custer Down in Mexico: Yes, one of the goals is to see how many times one can get him killed.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:05 am

A typical but historical OOB is this plan of an Imperial Army 1691
Only the numbers of men are missing but the name of the Regiments and their commanders are visible.
Attachments
Imp Armee 1691.jpg
Imp Armee 1691.jpg (206.47 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Justin Penwith
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

Post by Justin Penwith » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:32 am

Thank you, gentlemen.
I am a wargamer; I wargame. I paint wargaming miniatures and, every so often, I blog about it at : http://royalistroundhead.blogspot.com/