Number of Colours in an English Regt 1689-97

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
danschorr
Major
Major

Number of Colours in an English Regt 1689-97

Post by danschorr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:18 pm

H.R. Knight in his book, "Historical Records of The Buffs, East Kent Regiment, 3rd Foot", 1905, Vol.1 pg 310 states, "It was at this period [1689-1692], but the exact date cannot be ascertained, that the number of colours carried by a battalion of the line was reduced from one per company to three for the whole battalion...."

I am try to determine if this is correct. Can anyone verify this statement? Thanks.

Dan
Rebel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Number of Colours in an English Regt 1689-97

Post by Rebel » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:49 pm

Milne Milne merely states that it took place either at the end of William III's reign or the beginning of Anne's. Walton says little, but (jumping threads) he does cite a letter of 1690 which says that Danish horse were equipped with buff waistcoats, could this be the source of Danaher's reference to cuirasses ?
danschorr
Major
Major

Re: Number of Colours in an English Regt 1689-97

Post by danschorr » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 pm

Thanks Mike. I need the info for a bit I'm trying to put together on the colours carried by the Danish Prins Georg and the English Prince George of Denmark regiments during the NYW.

I've had some second thoughts on the cuirass for the three Danish cavalry regiments in Ireland. I'm familiar with the buff "waistcoats mentioned in Danaher and Simms. On the other hand, I think the the issue of cuirass is somewhat clouded by the lack of detailed information on cavalry equipment for the period. Unfortunately, Galster is of no help because he doesn't discuss anything to do with uniforms or equipment. An opportunity missed since he has access to the Danish Archives.

Dan