Under the Lilly Banners - With you at last!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:58 am

ULB should now be in your Inbox David

Any other Subscribers who have joined since the last LINK Issue(sometime in May) can drop me a line on the Private Message service of the Forum(you have to subscribe first). Address it to Barr7430and I'll e mail you the ULB files

cheers

B :D
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:25 pm

Some further ULB questions and clarifications. I thought these were perhaps also of general interest and so have posted the answers along woth David's oiriginal Questions

Questions from David Williams

I have a couple of questions, but the critical one is due to my purchase of Front Rank Battalion pack. The infantry come in packs of 24 and are based 3 figures on a 60x20mm base. Now I can easily combine 2 bases to make 4 60x40mm bases with 6 figures per base, but will the over strength units affect the rules radically? Cavalry are less of an issue as they come in 12 figure "battalion" packs of 12 figures and I have based them 2 figures per 50mm square base, however, can I use them in squadrons of 3 stands?

Hi David,

As long as all figures are based the same or you have a gentleman's agreement with other players using different basing then the config and size do not matter. Firing is done in `stands' each stand is a group of six figures in two ranks of three. If you have four stands in a battalion it does not matter. Dragoons and grenadiers normally only have two stands of 6 anyway. I like units of variable size.. That's life so conveneinently even - ing things out on the wargames table is somewhat artificial. You'll see that morale peanlties are done on % casualties and not stands(there is a minus for firing with a stand at a strength of less than 50%).

Three stands of two cavalry is as good as two stands of three cavalry!!

Always remember to leave ALL figures on the table until units and squadrons reach 50% casualties - thinking is.. maintaining frontage and avaoiding `gamey' play with nippy little units squeezing through gaps, avaoiding disorder for interpenetration etc.

I wrote the rules without the mind set of a Pedant. They are flexible, fast, feel like the period, encourgae you to follow the tactics of the day: little manoeuvre, get your lines dressed, support your brigade and vice versa, stick to the orders, don’t remove casualties to shorten frontages and make zippy units who flick in and out of gaps etc.

They are not perfect ny any manner of means but I believe their heart is in the right place.

I will post this reply on the site too as it is relevant for some other enquiries.

All the best

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:51 pm

Hi ALL,

Just finished the next Rev. of ULB. This time I have noted the changes in red on the Contents page(to save you all mucho skimming to find the changed bits! :oops: ).

Only minor mods but some interesting options. I still haven't gotten round to the Event Cards but will do them on my Summer Holidays which are imminent.

I will upload the file tomorrow and maybe Stuart will get the chance to send the Link over the next week or so.

Best as always

Barry :D

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:16 pm

Sorry if I'm being ignorant but I have just joined the site and am new to gaming the period 1685-1715. I would like to download the ULB rules - how do I access them? Are they the rules that the League of Augsburg club use for their games and are they the basing system used for the Grand Alliance units shown in the gallery? Saw the club's Sedgemore at Newark and thought it looked great - well done.
I'm sure I will be bothering you with lots of stupid beginners questions in the near future.
Regards,
Nick
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:39 pm

Welcome Nick!

No question is silly so ask away.

ULB is the gaming system I wrote specifically for battles in the period specified. It has grown out of some of the basis concepts created by the Wargames Holiday Centre many years ago to run large scale Marlburian games.

It has moved quite dramatically away from those original ideas but the emphasis is still on simplicity, ease of play, speed and clarity.

The rules are free and downloadable from a link that each Subscriber to the Newsletter receives every time I update the rules. The updates can be relatively minor but continue to clarify ambiguities, add some new ideas or general tidy themselves up.
The basing system is as shown in the Galleries of this site. The next edition of ULB is due to be sent as a LINK over the next week so if you can hang on till then you'll have the latest version.

League of Augsburg is now a very grand title for me! There were in the past others associated with the name, at one point a whole three of us. Over the past six to seven months I have become custodian of the name, started this site and continue to follow the principles that guided the LoA idea: focus on gaming, history, painting and ideas which might help inspire or stimulate other enthusiasts.

Over the years many of the games which LoA displayed were drawn from my own collection which was the main pool for figures etc. With perhaps one notable exception, the games displayed over the past 3-4 years at UK shows have almost exclusively been `one man affairs'. I actually now like to work that way as is provides the maximum freedom to do what you like.

I do collaborate with friends under the LoA flag of convenience and at Partizan you will have seen me in the company of my good friend, gamer, League of Gentlemen Wargamer and honorary Augsburger Adrian Howe.Adrian was helping me with the Sedgemoor game. He and I are working on a Zulu Wars game for Partizan next year.

Thanks for the kind words about Sedgemoor, I enjoyed it too!

Keep visiting and keep asking questions!! :D

All the best

Barry

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Fri Jun 24, 2005 3:37 pm

Barry,
thanks very much for the prompt reply, your site has certainly stimulated me to get into the period - just not sure whether to go for the earlier grand alliance war or the later spanish succession war. It strikes me that if it wasn't for the tricorne one set of figures would do for the whole period (that is probably sacrelige to the purist!)
Sorrry, but will I be able to download the rules by clicking on a link on this site next week or do I have to subscribe to something?
Cheers,
Nick

P.S. I put on Flodden for the lance & longbow society at Newark this year but didn't make it into your gallery! Please tell me it was the pants terrain and not my lovely figures that put you off (or because we were hidden away and you just never saw us!!!) All feedback gratefully received!
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:31 pm

Nick,

I checked the Newsletter Subscriber data base and I did not see your name there. I assume your name is actually Nick P...... (and this is not a nom de plume).
Easy next step... click into Newsletter option on home page, register your e mail address(ALL FREE). When the Link is prepared(done by Site Technical Manager Stuart) it will automatically be sent ot your e mail inbox. At that point simply click on the Link and you are taken to a restricted access area on the site from which you can download the rules in PDF Format.

Sorry about not seeing you at Partizan but of course.. wee would have known each other at that point! Pity, Flodden is one of my very favourite battles in British History.

By the way, I prefer the Grand Alliance Period to the far more populist War of the Spanish Succession.... the British are far more 'bit players' :wink:

Cheers

B

Henry Ford
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:22 pm

Barry,
Received the link and successfully printed off a set of ULB this evening - thanks very much.
Noted what you said elsewhere on this forum about the success of the site. My only comment, as a newcomer, is that it would be nice to see fighting talk sub-divided by historical period so I, or anyone else, know exactly where to look for the 1685-1715 stuff (or any other period of course).
Having received a load of sample figures today (Dixon, Foundry, Reiver, Essex) I am veering to the earlier phase 1685-1700. I assume that a collection of figures in slouch hats can be used for 1700-1715 whereas the other way around wouldn't work. Can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced commercial figure painter that knows the period - my skill (and time) does not extend to painting.
Any chance of getting more of your Grand Alliance units on Gallery - really inspiring stuff.
Regards,
Nick
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:01 pm

Nick,

Glad the site is inspiring you to commit to 17th Century wargaming!

Re some of your points:

1. The subdivision of Fighting Talk in to Fighting Compartments is a real possibility. Stuart and I will probably be reviewing the full lay out of the site sometime in the Autumn. I honestly had not anticipated the traffic we are currently getting and so our planning has been rather haphazard.

We will probably do a complete revamp of the site before the year end involving new photos ( I still haven´t got that bloody camera from Duncan yet!), new style forum, reorganised gallery and new layout. So stick with me till then.

2. The Headgear issue is one of my old favourites. I f you have time pls read article in WARCHEST:PUBLISHED ARTICLES:DEDICATED FOLLOWERS OF FASHION to get my full opinions on the subject!!!!!

3. As for good painters at reasonable prices I suggest looking at Dave Woodward(Ever Victorious Miniatures), Dave O´Brien(Military Despatches) for a start. Both have websites.

4. I will at some point photograph the rest of my Grand Alliance collex to post on site. I think I have about another 20 regiments to get round to!

All the best

Barry :wink:

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:26 pm

Dear All,

I´m currently out of the UK once more but I know that the Rev3 Edition of Under the Lilly Banners LINK has gone out to all Subscribers.

The locations of the main changes have been noted in red on the Contents page. I am currently working on a couple of sample scenarios and army lists-orbats for inclusion in the next Rev. If these prove popular then I may have to format a scenarios book for which I´d have to make a small charge to those interested.

Let me know your thoughts and what would be helpful.

ALSO: Please keep posting rules questions, clarifications etc when you get them. It´s nice to see that a few groups are starting to play with the rules and are sending feedback.

Hope you enjoy :wink:

Barry

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

revision 4

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:59 pm

Having had some time on my hands for the last few days I finally got round to compiling the Events section of ULB. It is of course optional but as I put it together it reminded me why I´ve always loved this period. If anyone gets round to using the events I´d be delighted to know what influence they had on your game results.

If time goes as scheduled over the next week I´ll also have two sample scenarios included in Rev 4 of ULB too.

The link should go out within the next two weeks maximum.

Cheers

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:11 pm

A Taster from Rev 4 is uploaded in the Rules section of WARCHEST. The full version of Rev 4 is now on the server and will go out as a link sometime over the next 10 days.

Cheers

Barry :D

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:27 pm

I may have made a wrong assumption :oops:

Some weeks ago I created:

1. Coloured Movement marker template

2. Coloured Command depletion marker template

3. Two sided A4 fast play sheet

ALL for ULB.

I thought that these had gone out as links along with Rev2(or perhaps just after Rev 2 of ULB)

Did no one get these????

If not, they will go out with Rev 4.

Many apologies :oops:

B

Henry Ford
ghorvers
Private
Private

Post by ghorvers » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:14 pm

Hello,
Just joined the group and started browsing around.
Looking forward to the rules when revision 4 is ready.
Planning to get some figures soon, too. :-)

Cheers,
Geert
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:00 am

Welcome Geert!

Hope you like them when you get them! :D

Keep visiting!
Regards

Barry