Another Danish Flag question

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Another Danish Flag question

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:12 pm

Would units carry the "Kings Color" with them and with possible unit colors? I've seen in the Sapherson booklet two variants of the kings color; red field with a plain white cross and the second red field with whit Maltese cross. The first one as being used by the Marine Regiment and the second by the Land Militia.

With my re-basing project, I find I can add an extra flag or two to the command stands.

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
danschorr
Major
Major

Re: Another Danish Flag question

Post by danschorr » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:58 am

Greg,

There was no such thing as "King's Colours" in the Danish Army. The white cross on a red field was the Dannebrog or Danish national flag. As such it was flown from fortifications and carried by the Land Militia. Sapherson is unreliable as it pertains to Danish flags. He obtained most of his uniform and flag information from Kühn, who is wrong on many counts pertaining to the Danes among others. The Marine Regiment did not carry a Dannebrog flag, and the Land Militia regiments did not carry a flag with a white Maltese cross. The flag they carried was red with the simple white cross as Sapherson illustrates for the Marine Regiment.

I hope this helps.

Dan
Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Re: Another Danish Flag question

Post by Redmist1122 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:43 pm

Dan,
Information sure does help.

Thank you.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA