Capture of Minorca 1708 -- order of battle

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Capture of Minorca 1708 -- order of battle

Post by wdrenth » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:24 am

dear all,

I am looking for information on the non-English troops that were part of Stanhope's expedition that took Minorca in September 1708.

From literature, there seems to be agreement that the expedition numbered about 1,200 English and 1,400 Spanish and Portuguese.
Of these 1,200 English, half came from Southwell's/Harrison's regiment (the future 6th Foot), and other half were marines that were doing duty aboard ships. For the Portuguese, there is consensus this was one regiment (about 600 men). However, it is a bit unclear what formed the Spanish part (the remaining 800 men).

http://www.11setembre1714.org/batalles/ ... frame.html gives some details, but I find them confusing. For example, the two Imperial regiments (Faber and Geschwind) came to Barcelona in 1709)

One thing that would help is information on the history of the Spanish (Habsburg) and Imperial regiments during the WSS and their movements. That will help to solve the puzzle.

Thanks a lot!
kind regards,
Wienand
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Re: Capture of Minorca 1708 -- order of battle

Post by Graf Bretlach » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:29 am

from Hugill's 'no peace without Spain'

Stanhopes forces Minorca 1708

From the army of Catalonia
1,800 men
600 Neapolitans and Spaniards
550 Southwell’s English regiment
550 Portugese

picked up at Majorca
300 marines plus some others
Bringing total to 1,200 English and 800 others

14 September
500 more marines raised from returning ships of war above their ‘highest compliment’

numbers don't make sense and a bit confused.

Possible sources – Parnell 1888, Francis 1966, 1974, Tindal & Boyer
Marlborough’s despatches and Stanhope’s letters and despatches. (Philip Stanhope, Lord Mahon 1831)

Stanhope as are others are available from google
http://books.google.es/books/about/Hist ... M2AAAAMAAJ

the above may have the answers

maybe helpful or not.
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:55 am

From the 6th Southwell’s regimental history
750 privates (the 6th and some dismounted English dragoons)
760 English marines
750 Portugese
700 Neapolitans
300 Spaniards

but I suspect I am going down roads you have already been.
wdrenth
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by wdrenth » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:44 pm

hi Graf Bretlach,

Thank you for the further input. I had checked several of the sources you mentioned indeed, and they all seem to agree on the numbers of men involved and division into nationalities.

The Neapolitan could be same as Spanish: Naples was a Spanish possession, like many other pieces of Italy. One of the regiments of the Spanish army came originally from Sicily, and was later stationed / recruiting from Naples. Hence the Neapolitan connection. This kind of narrows down the number of possible candidates, but it still speculation and I don't have much information on Spanish and Imperial regiments.

Interesting that the invasion force was so multi-national. It didn't give troubles in capturing the island though ...

all best,
Wienand