matrix games pike and shot - imagine my surprise!

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

matrix games pike and shot - imagine my surprise!

Post by barr7430 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:22 pm

Coming home from a five hour car journey to spend 30 minutes digging my mate's useless rear wheel drive bm out of the snow and ice in my street I stumbled into my office after a quick pizza.
I'll relax with Matrix games Pike & Shot cos I like that!.. check for new downloads... oooh The Boyne 1690! Deep joy.

Click to start, check the orbat.. named regiments, getting nicer by the minute!
Oh look, they have even got the uniform colours right (unusual for this games package)... those flags look nice, wait a minute, those designs look familiar... they look VERY FAMILIAR...

Well stone me. The entire battle has the units of both armies equipped with Quindia/Warfare Miniatures Irish Campaign flag designs......

I didn't know whether to be flattered or furious! Nice hats off to us but I think the designer Paul somebody or other might have at least sent us an email to ask first.
Never mind... We'll see what Clarence says when he hears....

Immortalized in code....
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
quindia
General
General

Re: matrix games pike and shot - imagine my surprise!

Post by quindia » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:07 pm

Wow..

I haven't played this game more than a few times and I've never really bothered with the user made content so I never would have seen this. As it is user content, I don't think the author makes any money from it, or even gets credits beyond the 'Paul' bit.

You are correct though. Apart from the obvious 'fold' patterns that mark my style, I made up the Clanrickarde and several other Jacobite flags that appear there (just looked at the initial set up so I didn't see the Williamites). There are definitely lifted directly from the art (or maybe the webstore - they are so small the store images would probably work fine).

We could probably complain to Matrix and make them take it down, but there's not really anything to be gained. We can't really complain to Paul directly because there's no contact info there. Maybe he uses the same handle on the Matrix forum... he probably announced his contribution there... I'll look into it. It might be worth it to contact him just to let him know we noticed...
quindia
General
General

Post by quindia » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:29 pm

Bingo...

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 99&t=69616

He thanked someone else for the textures for the troops, but didn't mention the flags. We could join the forum to contact him via PM (or reply to the post itself..). He says he has more coming (Aughrim and Killicrankie) and I am willing to bet they will all include our flags.

Will send you an e-mail off site...
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:26 am

I am actually very pleased to see it and wouldn't want it take down but as a courtesy , an email to ask permission would have been nice. You can never account for the way people were brought up though.

Henry Ford
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:25 pm

Happy endings (but not in a massage parlour sort of way)

Clarence and Paul have been in touch. Seems there was a crossed wire over the credits. That will be amended.

Here is the bonus, the prolific Paul is adding both Aughrim and Killiecrankie to the scenarios.

Clarence and I have both played it now... he was so close but failed to win but excuse my crowing... caw caw

I WON!!!!!!

I decided just when to pull out. I routed all 3 battalions of the Blue Guard by fire. I took out Cambon and Calliemotte with cavalry charges. I surrounded a Dutch cavalry squadron with the dragoons and shot it to pieces. My Lifeguards chased the routing Cambon back across the Boyne and got destroyed by vengeful fire from the English Foot.
I charged 2nd Guards(much depleted by fire) into Calliemotte on the banks of the river with Tyrconnels hitting them simultaneously, routed the French but them got shot to bits by the Danes.

I got out with Parkers, Sutherlands, 1 bn of Boiselleau's, Antrim's and 1 shot up detachment of Dragoons..

I enjoyed it! As the Jacobites you have to fight 26 turns and lose less than 60% of your forces. The enemy are prolific. With only 7 battalions, 4 squadrons and 4 detachments of dragoons you have to face the thick end of
30 battalions, 14 squadrons, 6 detachments of dragoons and 3 field guns.

We both felt very much like King James... but we fought better! :evil:

Good scenario

Henry Ford