Captain Neville's Map of Derry.

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
quindia
General
General

Captain Neville's Map of Derry.

Post by quindia » Sun May 15, 2016 9:44 pm

Ok, this worked once before when my Google-Fu failed to turn up good maps of Limerick so I thought I'd try again...

Captain Francis Neville drew a map entitled 'A Survey of the City of Londonderry as it was Beseiged by the Irish Army An:1689'

There is a portion of the map seen [url =http://www.creggancountrypark.com/uploa ... 114816.pdf]here[/url]...

I can find portions of the map, mostly close views of the actually city. I am wondering if anyone has or knows a source for the full map, at a resolution where it is legible.

Thanks, in advance...
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: Captain Neville's Map of Derry.

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon May 16, 2016 4:57 am

„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Captain Neville's Map of Derry.

Post by barr7430 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:05 pm

I have found evidence to categorize Neville's map as a composite piece drawn months after the siege and not from an eye witness perspective. Not to see that what it shows is untrue but that unlike an iPhone selfie, it does not represent a moment in time rather, a time lapse picture over several weeks
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford