Bavarian Infantry Organisation circa 1700 onwards

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Bavarian Infantry Organisation circa 1700 onwards

Post by armchairgeneral » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:14 pm

Can anyone tell me if the Bavarian infantry battalions had grenadier companies or were they detached into combined grenadier battalions by this time?
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Bavarian Infantry Organisation circa 1700 onwards

Post by maciek » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:27 am

Off the top of my head:
There were no grenadier companies in infantry regiments save the Kurprinz IR, but these were detached and joined .... (hmmm, I forgot...)
There was guards grenadier battalion and also foreign grenadiers battalion (known by their famous commander, de la Colonie) but the later wore felt hats instead of bearskins

I check my materials and confirm this.
Maciek

http://zealandbayonets.blogspot.com/
wargaming in 10mm
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:49 pm

Okay thanks :D
Old John
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Post by Old John » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:03 am

Try Caliver Books in UK for Wilson's book
also see
Sapherson's Marlburian Armies 1701-1721,

Danes, Bavarians & Prussians , Wargamers Intro fo Age of Marlborough No2 by Condray Editions Brokaw

Hoffman's Army of the Blue King, great uniform plates, either booklet or CD

Material on WSS, Part 6 Army of Max Emanuel by Kuhn, revised by Robert Hall (2nd edition 2001)

Cheers Old John
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Thanks John. Caliver don't appear to have the Wilson book but I think I have managed to procure it from someone else.

I have the Hoffman and Editions Brokaw books. Not sure what you mean by WSS? I believe there are Robert Hall plates available on the Pike and Shot Society website but I can't seem to access their list of plates.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:42 pm

WSS=War of Spanish Succession :wink:

Baccus offers a free pdf for Bavaria
https://www.baccus6mm.com/PaintingGuides/WSS/
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:40 pm

maciek wrote:Off the top of my head:
There were no grenadier companies in infantry regiments save the Kurprinz IR, but these were detached and joined .... (hmmm, I forgot...)
There was guards grenadier battalion and also foreign grenadiers battalion (known by their famous commander, de la Colonie) but the later wore felt hats instead of bearskins

... and I told you wrong.
There were grenadier companies in infantry regiments but with the exception of Guards they were never detached to form separate battalions
Maciek

wargaming in 10mm
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:20 pm

maciek wrote:
maciek wrote:Off the top of my head:

... and I told you wrong.
There were grenadier companies in infantry regiments but with the exception of Guards they were never detached to form separate battalions
Maciek,

Your original post seemed to bear out with the info I have got so far. Just Grenadiers in the Kurprinz regiment and of course the Grenadier regiment itself. Lots of conflicting information though :(
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:31 am

Friedrich August I. wrote:WSS=War of Spanish Succession :wink
Yes I got that. Not the "material on" WSS. Thought he meant P&SS with the reference to Robert Hall?

Thanks for the Baccus link.
maciek
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by maciek » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:52 am

Staudinger states that in 1704 Bavarian army counted "11 grenadier, 120 fusilier and 2 frei coys in 9 regiments or 26 battalions"

Hoffman says only that in 1785 grenadier were formed in companies within parent regiments and mentions ocasionaly not only guard grenadiers but also these belonging to other regiments.

I must admit that my German is rather basic and maybe I misunderstood something. :?
Staudinger is available through google books an you can read it yourself.
Maciek

wargaming in 10mm
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:39 pm

>>Staudinger is available through google books an you can read it yourself.

I don't suppose you have a link for this ? I've found Staudinger on google books but it confirms 'no ebook available' and can't be viewed. This also happens with lots of other books listed on google which, again, can't be viewed online.

>>There was guards grenadier battalion and also foreign grenadiers battalion (known by their famous commander, de la Colonie)

I'm also grateful for the above comment as it led to a bit of digging and, eventually, buying del la Colonie's book "The Chronicles of an Old Campaigner 1692-1717: The Recollections of a French Dragoon Officer During the War of Spanish Succession."

Thanks,

Phil
armchairgeneral
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by armchairgeneral » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm

maciek wrote:Staudinger states that in 1704 Bavarian army counted "11 grenadier, 120 fusilier and 2 frei coys in 9 regiments or 26 battalions"
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how many companies to a battalion but your information suggests five. If the Grenadier regiment had 2 battalions then that would account for ten companies? The sources I have give 2 battalions per regiment. Your information suggests 3?
Graf Bretlach
Captain
Captain

Post by Graf Bretlach » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:54 pm

Staudinger is a must have for the Bavarian army, just it is in German old script and information not always as clear or organised (like many older books)

link to volume 1 part 1
http://google.co.uk/books?id=Ae-gAAAAMAAJ

However if Google detects you are not in the US then a lot of books are blocked due to possible copyright rules in other countries.

In most countries, Regiments are very much company based during this period (instead of battalion or squadron) therefore regiments did have various strengths/organisations and not always consistent.
Glorfindel
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Glorfindel » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:07 pm

Thank you for the Staudinger link - unfortunately, it just confirms that there is 'no ebook available'. A nice try though !

Phil
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:40 am

Graf Bretlach wrote:..........However if Google detects you are not in the US then a lot of books are blocked due to possible copyright rules in other countries.........
And in this sentence lays the great nonsense of our time! :roll:
Preserving a Copyright for a book who's writer and Print Company has long gone is pure nonsense. If the Writer is still alive or the Company still exists it's a different story and rights must be preserved. All other is pure rubish!
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.