Trumpeters for Regiments Of Horse

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Old Grunt

Trumpeters for Regiments Of Horse

Post by Old Grunt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks to Mr. Hilton's most generous Warfare Miniatures Xmas offer I'm able to finish up my Irish Jacobite forces but I do have question about uniforms for trumpeters in regiments of horse.

It appears that during the 1690's infantry regiment drummers wore reverse colors. Is that true for trumpeters in horse regiments as well?

In particular I'm working on King James II’s Life Guard.

Thank you in advance for your collective guidance.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Re: Trumpeters for Regiments Of Horse

Post by lee sherman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:39 pm

Hi the trumpeters of the guards would be as the royal infantry... Royal liveree of red coats blue cuffs richly embroidered with gold or silver and royal cypher on the Brest of the coat and rear "not 100% about the the rear" of the coat JR I don't think he used J II R.... apparently very similar to the royal guards of today if you see their uniforms they have heavy embroideray and royal cypher E II R

Hope this helps a little

Lee
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:44 pm

lee sherman wrote:Hi the trumpeters of the guards would be as the royal infantry... Royal liveree of red coats blue cuffs richly embroidered with gold or silver and royal cypher on the Brest of the coat and rear "not 100% about the the rear" of the coat JR I don't think he used J II R.... apparently very similar to the royal guards of today if you see their uniforms they have heavy embroideray and royal cypher E II R

Hope this helps a little

Lee
Household Cavalry in state dress give some idea ,

Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Yes that's the one nice picture.... I forgot was the household cavalry in Blue coats? and also Red coats? Same as the modern household cavalry otherwise my info is wrong it would be blue coats richly embroidered in gold and silver with royal cypher JR If so oooops my mistake

Lee
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:04 pm

Old grunt....

If you are painting the Blue Coated James Life Guards the trumpeters jacket is also Blue JR cypher heavy embroidery gold

If you are painting the Red Coated James Life Guards the trumpeters jacket is also Red JR cypher heavy embroidery gold

These are the Life Guards "blue" and Royal Horse Guards "Red"

Lee
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:12 pm

Possibly a bit of confusion there Lee. King James's Life Guard troops were both in red coats with blue distinctions. It is possible (not probable) that there may have been facing colour distinctions ie - not all wearing blue cuffs. This is still debated. I have seen mention of both green and yellow.

The only blue coated cavalry of the period in the English Army was The Earl of Oxford's Regiment. After about 1689 or 1690 known as Oxford's Blews apparently to distinguish them from the Dutch Gardes te Paard (Horse Guards) often known as Lord Portland's.

I am not aware of trumpeters wearing reverse colours but of course if you like it it may look very pretty - I did it myself once for this unit and I still have them somewhere.

It was only much later that Oxfords became the Royal Horse Guards.

There may well have been an Irish Jacobite regiment of Horse wearing blue but I have never seen any details.
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
lee sherman
Captain
Captain

Post by lee sherman » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:26 pm

Yes I am :-( so many uniforms to try to remember.... I was right at 1st red coats then doubted myself I knew I had seen a blue coat horse somewere think they have lobster helmets on as well I thought it was Guards

Lee