bavarian lieb guard

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
turrabear
Major General
Major General

bavarian lieb guard

Post by turrabear » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:15 pm

sorry been asking a lot of questions tonight final one I promise
did ncos in the Bavarian lieb guard wear reverse colours during the war of Spanish succession.
I have the Hoffman book and it show,s an nco but in the same uniform as the men . but I think the drawing represents an nco in 1720
once again many thanks for your help
BaronVonWreckedoften
Sergeant
Sergeant

Re: bavarian lieb guard

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:02 pm

I'm not sure, to be completely honest with you. According to a booklet published in the 1990s by John Wilson, the NCOs and musicians were wearing facing-coloured coats with blue cuffs, whilst according to an Editions Brokaw pamphlet (1986), the uniform historian Wagner has NCOs, musicians AND officers in reversed colours for the 1701-1714 period. However, the Hall plates put out more recently by the Pike & Shot Society and covering the Blenheim period, have the drummers in blue coats with white lace and usual facings and also the officers in "normal" uniforms, too (although interestingly, they don't include NCOs - just private, grenadier, drummer and officer, but no NCO).

So it looks as though they might still be, but we don't know for sure. Sorry to not be more helpful!

BvW
No plan survives the first contact with the dice.