From Solebay to the Texel

A section devoted to questions and answers for this period.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

From Solebay to the Texel

Post by Adam Hayes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:36 pm

We definitely live in a time of riches when it comes to the reference material being published about military matters of the later 17th Century. Visiting Cavalier in Tonbridge this weekend the Helion stall was there to show off the recent tomes published in their "Century of the Soldier, 1618-1721" range. I turned my back on Les for two minutes only to find he had apparently said "I'll have the lot" and come away with a huge stack of books about the period! I was a lot more restrained (okay fair disclosure, I already own a lot of them!) I did pick up a copy of "From Solebay to the Texel" on an impulse. Maybe it had something to do with the bag full of `1/450 scale sailing ships I had found myself lugging around(?)

I have only had a chance for a quick flick through, has anyone given it a proper read? My first impressions in no particular order:
For a book about the 3rd Anglo-Dutch War it is irritating that they use a third of the pages on the First and Second wars...
It seems to have a good detailed narrative about all the main battles and the strategic situation around them.
Not enough pictures of ships, too many portraits of the nobs who were in charge of the various squadrons.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Re: From Solebay to the Texel

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:57 pm

1/450th Scale? Really? These are rather large than, yes?
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Adam Hayes
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Adam Hayes » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:50 pm

Friedrich August I. wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:57 pm
1/450th Scale? Really? These are rather large than, yes?
Not if I stick with sloops, fluyts and frigates.... like that's going to happen!! :lol: They are in the 60-100mm long. including bowsprit so quite a neat size and readily distinguishable from each other. I also haven't been able to stop myself also investigating what is available in plastic kits, so now I have a few ships that will be 2nd or 3rd Rates at around 150mm long. I'm never going to be abler to have a fleet action of these, but an occasional appearance will make life interesting for privateers and pirates in more modest vessels!
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:36 pm

Ah. Ok. I first thought that would be a Typo.

My "largest" metal Vessels I ever had have been from Skytrex 1/600th Scale. Here -> https://www.skytrex.com/61-triton-1600th-scale-ships. Quite nice models of Spanish and English Warships
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Saw this just now.. I am a bit behind.. as you may recognize.

Ships are fun. So much so I just finished writing a 32 page rule set :)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford