The Last Saxons or the 14th Panzer Division

general discussion points related to gaming, painting and modelling in this period
jambo1
Sergeant Major of the Army
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: The Last Saxons or the 14th Panzer Division

Post by jambo1 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:14 pm

A good read, he had quite a varied war, seeing the highs and lows of warfare.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:26 am

Some WIP Pictures and a revitalizing of an long time ago used colour rack

Even if the racks take a bit of space on my work desk they give me a feeling of clarity as I dont have always to sort my colours and brushes for each colour I like to add to the models. Now all is in easy reach :wink: .

Cheers,

Günter
CoSG :D
„Macht Euch Euren Dregg alleene“

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Ben Waterhouse
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Ben Waterhouse » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:58 pm

Coming along nicely!
Arma Pacis Fulcra

God, War, Drink.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:57 am

Ben Waterhouse wrote:Coming along nicely!
Thank You Ben :D

"Sort your filth out by yourself!" The King of Saxony Friedrich August III., at his abdication 1918, referred to the quarrels in the parliament and the squabbling within the provisional government.
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:06 am

Panzer Production Line - latest WIP Pictures

Overview

SdKfz 251/1D Standard APC

Left row three PzKpfw IV-H, right row in the back a StuG III-G in the middle a StuH 42 and in Front the SdKfz 251/1

Close-up of the StuH 42

Close-up, side view, of the SdKfz 251/1D

2 Stug III-G are still in "Production" as well as 2 SdKfz 251/1D
while the 6 Squads of Panzer-Grenadiers are crawling on (in terms of being painted) :wink:

All comments are welcome

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 pm

Now all of the Vehicles are more or less finished. Some still need an inking and later drybrushing. Also, as soon as money permits, I will contact a german company specialized on adhesive Decal's for the Numbers on my Panzer's.
Here is a link
http://peddinghaus-decals.de/index.php? ... m31mqa8as6

Overview with all sideskirts attached

Frontal view

Support weapons - 88's, 5cm PaK and 10,5cm lfH(light Field Howitzer)

Cheers,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:38 am

Two more pictures of the Work in Progress show the Models having received a layer of Dark Yellow Primer, some inking of the details like doors and hatches and a chocolate brown wash after a lighter tone of dark yellow to high light the complete model.

If not already mentioned there is a change in the Rules I intend to use. After some discussions with a friend we decided to go for the "Panzer Grenadier de Luxe" - Rules by David Brown(GdB).

Cheers,
Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:14 pm

A few days ago I came to the conclusion to add a few more tanks. So withtin the next days a group of Tiger's and Panther's will arrive together with a small group of 4 special SPW's and StuG's.
The Tiger's wont be an integral part of the 14th Panzer Division but members of the 510th Heavy Tank Battalion which often fought alongside the 14th in the Courland Battles and the former Army Group North.
The Panther's are part of the 1st Abteilung/Battalion, 36th Tank Regiment and therefore part of the 14th PzDiv.

Cheers,

Günter

Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:32 pm

As annouced in my last message some of the mentioned Tanks are ready for painting. The Panthers and Pz III's are from PSC while the Tiger is from Zvedzda.
To assambly the Tiger you almost need no Glue besides of the smaler parts as they fit together and are intended to be snapped/klicked into position without the use of glue...strange in most parts but it works.

The Panzer III's will receive side Armor to give them the look of model M.
If you think " Wtf does he want with Pz III in late 1944!" is easy to explain:
Those tanks were used as mobile Artillery spotter vehicles, as Tank Regiment command Vehicles as well as special "Flamm" Panzers - Flamethrower Tanks. But I will use them as Command tanks in a support role.

Redmist1122
Major General
Major General

Post by Redmist1122 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:44 pm

Günter

Wow!!! All I can say is Wow! I got the WWII bug about 3 months ago and been non-stop too. I had put my big Pirate project and the other BLB projects on the back burner and been non-stop with the new interest.

What scale are you vehicles? I think I saw 1/72 on one of boxes you got in a few posts back. Also, what rule system are you playing with for this period?

I went with full blown 1/48 scale vehicle and armor. They are bit tougher to get a hold of, but definity way cheaper that the popular Warlord stuff. I'm stuck om my schoolboy fascination with the SdKfz 251 series. I have five and looking at a few more to add to my collection. I've used a few conversion kits and made a few myself. We have a small calling of guys here who enjoy playing Chain of Command. I like them way better than Bolt Action by far.

It is great timing for intersts to take hold as I had just finished up with a few classes for my U.S. Military History Certificate; WWI and WWII. I also enjoyed reading about your family connection to the war. I had a great uncle who was in one of Geneal Pattons Armor division. Don't know much more than that other than reading our family tree book. Will have to look into to his story much further.

Will be watching your project with great intersts.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:22 pm

Hi Greg,

Well I intend to use a recently printed Ruleset named Panzergrenadier de Luxe, written by David C.R. Brown of GdB.
I was pointed towards it by a friend who wants to play it with me and his considerably large quantity of Russian Armor.
The models I use are from various manufacturer but all 1/72 as you noticed already.
The Aim goes for a "Kampfgruppe" composed of forces mainly from the 14th Panzer Division but also support units like Pz VI Tigers of the 510th Heavy Tank Battalion which fought side by side with the 14th for the last Year of the War. Also there are Stukas and Fighter Bombers, Heavy Artillery (17 and 21cm guns) as well as Naval guns from the Admiral Hipper and the Prinz Eugen who were engaged in Naval Bombardments along the coast of Courland.

Here is a overview over the Tanks I want to use (two Tigers still to built).
The number of SdKfz 251/1Ds will be increased by 10 including Pioneer and Support Vehicles.

Thanks for your kind comments.

Cheers,

Günter

obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:10 pm

Looks like another project expanding out of control Gunter? 8-)
Cheers
Dave
Friedrich August I.
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by Friedrich August I. » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:28 pm

obriendavid wrote:Looks like another project expanding out of control Gunter? 8-)
Cheers
Dave
Nicht Kleckern! Klotzen!
(Heinz Guderian)