Battle of the Alma

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Battle of the Alma

Post by obriendavid » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:12 pm

Chaps, as you all know Bob is putting together the battle of the Alma for the June game next year. He is well on the way with the Russians, Brits and Turks but is very short of French. He has loads of figures still to paint and I will be painting up my lot to go with them but to ease his work load and stress can any of you chaps help in painting some up for the weekend? :D :D :D

If anyone else has FPW French painted can you also let Bob know what you have. At a push we could even use some ACW zouaves (without US flags) and union artillery. We have lots of time on this project so it would be good to get it correct.
Cheers
Dave
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Alpha » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Hi Guys,
I'll paint some up! I'll give Bob a call.
David
Head of the Lundin Links Escape Committee!
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:13 am

The requirement for French Figures rounds out at about 920 infantry and 25 artillery guns and crews. What would be required to be painted really depends on what, suitable figures that we collectively have for say, Franco Prussian War French or Maximillian adventure. For those of you who could paint up some units before the debacle, hold off purchasing until we meet in November.
I have unpainted lead, which I would be willing to give you, and once painted , add to your own collection. I have around 400 infantry and 9 artillery guns plus crews. :wink:
First requirement is to see what we have already, - answers on a postcard please (or A4 if you gotta lot :wink: )

Bob
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:11 am

not a lot Bob I'm afraid. a meagre 24 French painted and based
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:14 am

That's a start Barry, from little acorns :!: :!: :!:
Bob :D
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
neworks
Private
Private

Post by neworks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:57 am

Bob,

You can always pass on to me as soon as.

I will paint them for fun as I don't need another period.

Still fudging about with the Mexicans but a change is good.

Here is my number again 570061.

If not will hopefully see you at Skelp.

Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:21 pm

Bob, here is what I have painted but they all need rebased which isn't a problem. Because of the rules I normally use the units are different sizes.

Infantry
12 x Papal Zouaves
18 x Infantry
14 x Infantry
21 x Infantry
18 x Infantry
3 x Guard

Cavalry
8 x Hussars
6 x Lancers

Artillery
1 x gun plus crew
3 x mitrailleuse plus crew (because these have brass barrel's we could you these as guns as a last resort)

Unpainted
64 x Infantry
14 x Zouaves (I know you said you have loads of these already)
3 x Guard
1 x mitrailleuse plus loads of artillery crews

this gives us a bit of a start.
Cheers
Dave
neworks
Private
Private

Post by neworks » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:10 pm

Bob dropped off a unit this afternoon along with a few painted examples as I know nothing of the French uniforms.

Thought I would search around and came accross this site which has 2 pictures for me to follow.

http://www.britishbattles.com/crimean-war/alma.htm

You have to scroll down abit mind you.

Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Dave, if you have a look at the link below you can find the Foundry guide for the Franco Prussian War which has good illustrations of French uniforms.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/1870/files/

Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:56 pm

Dave, here's an even better link for French uniforms.

http://petitsamisdelacommune.chez-alice ... hommesde70

Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:20 am

Good painting guide there Dave (O'B) - thank you

1st, 2nd and 3rd Zouaves and Tiralleurs Algerien were in action at the Alma. The Regiments had 2 battalions each. From what I can see the Zouaves had red pantaloons and red facings and red piping to their jackets and were French nationals, while the Tiralleurs Algerien had white pantaloons with yellow facings and pipiing. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but are the Tiralleurs also referred to as Turcos :?:

I see the Zouaves (Papal) Pontificaux had blue pantaloons but don't see them on the Orbats :!: but, They will help to make up the numbers, and add another splash of colour

As to the number of Zouaves and Turcos, that would be 8 Battalions, at 24 men to the battalion, I think Dave (O'Brien) and I have the lead count covered (almost) :wink:

Dave (T), whether you wish to paint the unit up as Zouaves, or Tiralleurs is at your discretion. Let me know what you decide and I shall get flags organised. Much appreciated - and thank you. :D

Bob
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:34 am

Bob, the Algerians are referred to as Turcos and their jackets should be light blue but I'm sure Mr Shann will correct me if I am wrong.

The Papal Zouaves were not at the Alma, these are painted up for my Italian Wars, 1864,1866 and FPW games, They are actually in grey uniforms and a few other of my 'French' units are painted up as other nationalities but should fit in OK .

My quick play rules use a 1:100 scale which is why my regiments are so small but we can just combine them together to make up R2E sized units.

I hope a few more of the Gentlemen are going to offer their services to paint up some figures to take the strain off you?
Cheers
Dave
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:37 am

Bob and Dave, you will find French flags on this site which you can print out, they are at the bottom of the page.
http://www.warflag.com/flags/fp/fp.shtml
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:51 am

Bob, I know this is hard to believe but I have nothing / zero French for the Crimean.

Do you need any Russian's painted ? Much more my thing!
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:20 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the response, sorry to disappoint you but the Russian Army is boxed up and ready to go - battalion for battalion. The Brits I can finish off hopefully, and the Turks are finished. Just the French contingent that needs serious attention.

Bob