Pirate / Jungle game

A Forum location for posts by members of the League and any other Visitors or Forum members who wish to post items and questions about our games and activities.
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Pirate / Jungle game

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:19 am

We agreed on Saturday that the March 2007 game would be a combination pirate/naval/darkest africa adventure and Andy and I are planning already.

Just to set anyone's mind at rest if you are concerned about having to build and crew a boat. Don't worry you don't have to but you can if you want. There are more than enough spare boats for those who want to boorw one. We anticipate having the following player forces

British Navy - Two or more players
Pirates - Four - six players
Traders/ Merchantmen - Two or more players
Town Governors - Two players

With plenty of scope for other player roles if required. If you have a preference drop me an email (sharnydubs2@yahoo.com) and we will take it form there.

Nothing like a bit of forward planning. I'm hoping we might manage a regular newsletter during the months before the game so that we can set the scene.

chow

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Peter, I would prefer to use my Marlburian infantry as a town garrison. That could be a British, French or Spanish town whichever you want me to be.

Cheers
Dave
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:22 pm

Can we establish within a fifty year period, of when this scenario is supposed to take place - it matters as to what troop types if nothing else let alone the ships, cannon and technology available.

I really don't want to see a U-boat surfacing and torpedoeing my 19th Century (circa 1805) Frigate, nor an Askari sub machine gun my Napoloenic Marines.

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:43 pm

Since it's early planning days can a put in a request Peter. Can we emphasise the formal Naval element and use the pirates as an adjunct? I would like some bigger ship to ship duels and to that end may buy a Man o' war!
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:38 am

Gentlemen,

Their Lordships of the Admiralty are pleased to announce the recent launch of two Frigates to join His Brittanic Majesties Navy for service in foreign climes. (Well, for the express duties of the extermination of Pirates, Rebellious Colonialists, and that damned Frog Napoleon and his Republicans)

These will bear the names "Duncan" and "Camperdown" honouring the name and glorious victory of Dundee's greatest Naval hero.

Thinredline
"There is no retreat from here, men," Campbell told them as he rode down the line, "you must die where you stand."
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by barr7430 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:04 am

And your son of course! 8)
"If you think you can, or if you think you can't, you are probably right"

Henry Ford
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:06 pm

So it is!
And my brother's,
and my grandfather's
and his father's before him.

Good strong Scots name :lol:

Ships 3 & 4 will be the "HMS Agamemnon" and "HMS Britannia", making an A.B,C,D for the squadron.

"HMS Bounty" will be "HMS Bounty" of course :shock: - a lightly armed research Ship.

Now who makes imitation "Breadfruit Plants Mr Christian :?:

Thinredline
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Period for Pirates game

Post by sharnydubs » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:12 pm

Bob / Barry / Dave, you were asking about a time period for the game. I must admit I was thinking about the Golden age of Piracy , say around 1730 give or take 30 years so say from 1700-1760. Setting would be the Indian Ocean covering the East coast of Africa, Madagascar, India and a host of small islands in between (Comoros etc). That would give scope for trade routes from Indian rounds the Cape and merchantmen with British/ Dutch/Spanish/French/Portuguese navies providing protection and supporting their colonies in the area.

Is that two early for the type of boats you are building or does it make much difference ?

I want players to be able to play a naval role,. Pirate role, town governorship role or trader role as they wish so this scenario would give scop for all.

Comments ?

Peter
Peter

thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:09 pm

What are these boats you are talking about? They are "SHIPS" man - "SHIPS". Boats are something that you carry on the deck of a "SHIP"

Of course you can always go for boats if you like, but you will be outgunned, outmanned and outranged in your "Boats" The phrase"blown out of the water" comes readily to mind.

Certainly earlier than I had anticipated for a period, and whilst my "Ships" are generally of a later period - you landlubbers probably wouldn't know the sharp end from the blunt end, let alone the difference between Naval Architecture from one century to the next.

Now the small ships I had for the last Napoleonic game were actually more suited period wise to 1730 than they are for 1805. The "Ships" brought in by Barry and Dave - thats the large ones (Village Green I think) are much more of the period you require. I know Dale has one of these as well. As for figures, well - chested men with sponges and wearing canvas breeches all look much the same to me.

I am looking into experimenting with coastal batteries and have loadsa guns on trucks with some Front Rank chappies in tricorns circa 1746. Just to make the shore batteries interesting you understand.

By the way you are lining up a variety of differing factions, this would'nt be an adverserial type of game, with backstabbbing, treachery and pure bloody murder, would it?

Thinredline
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:34 am

thinredline wrote:
By the way you are lining up a variety of differing factions, this would'nt be an adverserial type of game, with backstabbbing, treachery and pure bloody murder,
would it?
Thinredline
It all sounds jolly good fun to me and I look forward to hanging you all from the gallows after giving you all a fair and guilty trial.

Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Backstabbing lies and pure bloody murder

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:20 am

Backstabbing , lies and treachery will only be permitted from those we would expect it from. The British Navy I trust will be a shining example to all of high moral fibre, gentlemanly conduct and strict adherance to the principles of truth , justice and firm discipline. They will find all Pirates to be guilty until proven so in a court of law. They will use only their best endeavours to press gang new recruits and show the appropriate level of mercy to all who would deserve it.

The merchant traders will be as honest in their business as the day is long.

As to the Pirates, they do have their own code of conduct.

Seriously I don't see this being the sort of hidden , deceiving, backstabbing game we enjoyed with BoB. The baddies in the Pirate game will be much more obvious and as to the goodies - well that depend upon your point of view.

Peter
Peter

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:55 pm

I have had an order for model ship Kit parts with Westbourne Model Shop now for 8 weeks.

They have been chased up three times, and the same old story was played back - you would have thought it was a tape recording.

Platitudes aside, even (worthless) apologies - but this member certainly will not be ordering anything else from them.

Order was cancelled today - after all, three times and "They're out"

I've got three hulks wi cannon, but no rigging or fittings to produce the required squadron ! So that's that then lads - MAN THE OARS

Thinredline
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:57 am

Good to know we can rely on the real pros to attempt to put rigging on their ships. I'll be lucky if I have masts and a crows nest ! Bob , you can give us all lessons on how our ships should really be prepared !

I have oredered and received a Pirate ship from Eureka courtesy of Fighting 15's . I know he has another in stock if anyone is interested.

Peter
Peter

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:14 am

The answer in simple "sea dog speak"
is
"SHIP SHAPE AND BRISTOL FASHION" :roll:

- ARRRRR

Ordered up a frigate and landing party from Brittania yesterday. I did check the respective sizes of Opus and Brittania products before "embarking" on this project, and Brittania has the edge on size. BUT, they both pack a hefty gun deck :wink: :wink:

That will bring my squadron up to 4, plus all the smaller "boats" from "BASTILLE DAY". Of that squadron, two are large frigates (Opus and Brittania", with two smaller versions from Village green. As mentioned in previous posts, these will be named the "Agamemnon, Brittania, Camperdown and Duncan" and all will fly the Red Ensign of 1801. 8)

Found an alternative supplier for the ship fittings, hopefully they will provide a much better service than Westbourne Models ! :evil:

Thinredline[/b][/i]
thinredline
Colonel
Colonel

Post by thinredline » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:37 pm

Can recommend the services provided by The Model Dockyard (www.model-dockyard.com)

Ordered goods Tuesday Afternoon, arrived Thursday Morning :D :D

As good a chandler as I've ever come across

Thinredline