Indian Mutiny 28mm skirmish rules?

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Indian Mutiny 28mm skirmish rules?

Post by counterattack71 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Hey folks,

I've gathered together a decent amount of Indian Mutiny figures from Foundry Miniatures and I'm looking for advice on a ruleset to go with them. They're all 28mm and individually based.

Members at my local club have played a previous game or two with the Sharp Practice rules (Too Fat Lardies publication) but I know many of them don't like the card based turns and 'Tiffin Breaks'.

A general colonial wargame ruleset would be nice (although not essential) as I'm looking at collecting the Sudan/Gordon era next.

Any help would be great!
http://whippedraw.blogspot.com/

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:38 am

How about an old-school The Sword and the Flame?

Both the original rules and the Indian Mutiny variant are available here: http://www.sergeants3.com/18.html

It's still card activation based (red for British, black for the other guys). With that said, you have more control over which unit gets to activate on a given card. I find it rather enjoyable and adds a bit of tension and unpredictability to things.
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:20 am

Thanks Rob,

I've checked out the Sword and the Flame website, and read a few reviews. It sounds like they're an ideal set to pick up and well established with plenty of expansions etc. However, my main problem has been finding someone in the uk/europe who sells them (or who sells them over the web in PDF format via download).

Caliver books appear to have quite a few colonial skirmish rules. The ones that seem to stand out are:

COLONIAL ADVENTURES: Fortunes Won & Lost.
A GOOD DUSTING (Sudan)

If anyone has any take on these I'd be interested to hear.

"To understand the social processes and conflicts, the interplay between individual and group, even the physicality of human experience, we have the need of small scale models" - Will Self.
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:15 pm

A Good Dusting are by my mate David Bickley and are a good fun set of rules but I wouldn't class them as being a skirmish set. Figures are based on stands of 4 figs for Imperial troops with about 5 bases to a unit whereas the arabs are based 8 figs per base with 4-6 bases to a unit. He has just released a new set along the same lines for the Zulu wars 'Washing the spears' and has plans to produce an Indian Mutiny set later in the year.

For more skirmish style rules my other mates use a version of Chris Peers 'Heart of Africa' rules called 'Heart of India' and you can find a link to a playsheet here on Angus' site towards the bottom of the page. http://www.edinburghwargames.com/Colonial.htm

Hope this helps?
Cheers
Dave
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 pm

Dave,

That's excellent. I've heard of In the Heart of Africa, and the fact your mate has done some tweaking to the rules making it applicable to IM is an absolute bonus!

Love the pics on the website too.

Many thanks :-)

Juan Mancheño
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by Juan Mancheño » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:27 pm

"In the Heart of Africa" is an excellent ruleset, very good for skirmish games. Other, free downloable, is "With McDuff to the Frontier". This one works with basic unit of about five-six models each, and is between the skirmish and the tactic level.

I am a fanatic of the Colonial Period, and my favourite rulebook at the moment is "Black Powder". This one is not skirmish but is really fun and fast.

Finally, in an old number of Wargames Illustrated there was an small ruleset about this war, "The Devil´s Wind", I think. Very good, also.

Cheers,
Juan
counterattack71
Private First Class
Private First Class

Post by counterattack71 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm

Ok guys. Just ordered 'In the Heart of Africa' rules from Northstar figures. Look forwards to giving it a try. I'll probably pick up TSATF later in the year.

All the Best,
M.

sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Frankly there's a gap in the market for good Indian Mutiny rules. I've tried most of them and settled last year on modifying the Warhammer Lgends of the Old West / Alamo rules. There's some information on them in my (almost dormant) website www.sharnydubs.com

Hope this helps
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
obriendavid
General of the Army
General of the Army

Post by obriendavid » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:50 pm

sharnydubs wrote:Frankly there's a gap in the market for good Indian Mutiny rules. I've tried most of them and settled last year on modifying the Warhammer Lgends of the Old West / Alamo rules. There's some information on them in my (almost dormant) website www.sharnydubs.com

Hope this helps
Well update it then!!! :wink:
What were those other card based set of rules we used before Peter? they gave a fun game and were perfect for I.M.
Cheers
Dave
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 am

Blood and Swash , written by Buck Surdu. Multi period small scale skirmish rules. Work well for street / town fighting. Great if you wanted to play out the Sharpe's Peril skirmish in India as well.

Dave, like many things , writing a set of Indian Mutiny rules is in that cupboard full of things to do !

Peter
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"
theoldschool
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by theoldschool » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:35 pm

Sharpe Practice from the TooFatLardies stable are a blast. Their 2008 Festive Special has a supplement for the Mutiny with rule amendments and scenario. A superb set of rules, great blend of character gaming and pukka tactical gaming. Games work with anything from a dozen to 150 figures a side.