Victrix 1804-07 Russians

All matters to do with gaming, painting and uniform information
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Victrix 1804-07 Russians

Post by curassier » Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:25 pm

Clearly Russian uniforms and regimental distinctions are a complex subject.
Can anyone point me to a source for information to paint up the new Victrix metal figures for the Eylau/Friedland campaign?

I see Victrix do some lovely flags so I may need to focus on the regiments for which colours are avaialable.

Can I mix in some of the Wargames Foundry (Perry sculpts) officers in cocked hats? They look as though they may fit.

Thanks and all the best,

Jonathan
Jonathan
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:59 am

Napflags (hosted by Ian Croxhall's Warflags) has a brief on Russian flags, including the 1803 assignment to Inspections here. That gives you a place to look for what regiments were assigned to what Inspection.

Phillip J. Haythornwaite's The Napoleonic Source Book provides the following uniform for the inspectorate period:
Dark green jacket
Red turnbacks
Yellow buttons
Collar and cuffs of inspectorate color
Shoulder straps of seniority color within the inspectorate
White breeches
Black gaiters or knee boots (depending on Summer or Winter)
Black shako with black cockade edged in orange
Pompom in battalion color (white for the 1st battalion, yellow for the 2nd, red for the 3rd) center in regimental color.
Leather work was white
Backpacks black

Inspection colors were as follows:
St. Petersburg: Red
Livonia: Turquoise
Lithuania: Light Green
Ukraine: Pink
Dneister: Lilac pre-1805, then dark green with red cuffs
Caucasus: Medium Blue
Smolensk: White
Moscow: Orange
Finland: Yellow
Brest: straw-yellow
Crimea: Light ochre
Kiev: Raspberry
Orenberg: Buff
Siberia: Grey

Seniority colors were:
1st: Red shoulder straps
2nd: White shoulder straps
3rd: Yellow shoulder straps
4th: Raspberry shoulder straps
5th: Turquoise shoulder straps
6th: Pink shoulder straps
7th: Light green shoulder straps
8th: Grey shoulder straps

That should get you started. I can dig in my Funcken or Hourtoulle books for specific details if you give me a specific regiment.

The Hourtoulle 1807, From Eylau to Freidland is also worth a look.
Greystreak
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Greystreak » Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:42 am

Good effort, Rob, however the Funken's work contain numerous errors when it comes to the Russians (though it was the best we had in the 1970's).

Jonathan, if you're willing to invest the time, there is no substitute for reading A.V. Viskovatov's seminal work, as translated by Mark Conrad and available freely on the web here: http://marksrussianmilitaryhistory.info/#Viskovatov. You will want to review Vol. 10, Parts A & B for Organisation changes for infantry, as well as uniform evolution details. Alternatively, check your favourite used bookshop (or online vendor) for a copy of Osprey Men-At-Arms 185, The Russian Army of the Napoleonic Wars (1): Infantry, by Philip Haythornthwaite, for colour plates by Paul Hannon.

Lastly, don't let the flags available with the Victrix figures 'constrain' your choices about which units to collect and paint: GMB Designs has 99% of the Russian order of battle available to order online: http://www.gmbdesigns.com/, with many examples of them 'in use' on this website. Let history be you guide, and choose your own Order of Battle. :D
Bryce
Rob Herrick
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Post by Rob Herrick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:38 am

I agree that the Funcken works have their problems, but they will at least give you an idea what the colors look like and where they are placed. They're pretty good for the French, less so for French allies and bad for the Allies. Still, worth acquiring a copy just for the sheer prettyness of their illustrations!

The Hourtoulle Austerlitz has problems because there was a problem at the printer and several plates are too light. With that said, it is still a good resource for what flags and uniforms the Russians had at Austerlitz. His 1807, From Eylau to Freidland is probably perfect for cuirassier, since he has full color prints of both uniform and flags for many Russian regiments at Eylau and Freidland.

Of course, doing an Eylau army is easy - greatcoats for everybody!
Scruff
Sergeant First Class
Sergeant First Class

Post by Scruff » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:08 am

Also on the flags,

Foundry has a wonderful download under the Napoleon rules of Russian Flags.

I was able to furnish all most all my flags from those and must say came out really nice, and free :)

cheers
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:52 am

Gentlemen,
a fantastic start.
I will get reading.
Thanks for all the advice.
Jonathan
Jonathan
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by curassier » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:27 pm

I have seen the book in Russian on infantry by I think Ulyanov which is available on -ine.
Does anyone know if there are equivalent volumes available on-line for cavalry and artillery (with links).
The infantry book certainly has nice pictures.
Jonathan
Jonathan
sharnydubs
Colonel
Colonel

Post by sharnydubs » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:02 pm

I would second the FG Hourtelle series by Histoire & Collections. Great colour plates, well worth the value and available. "From Eylau to Friedland" was only published a few years ago so is a good modern reference book.
Peter

"The only winner in the War of 1812 was Tchaikovsky"