Drums

Forum for discussion about Wargaming, Painting, Books, Terrain, Research and general banter!
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Drums

Post by curassier » Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:54 pm

Abandoned drums as part of the vignette effect.
Is there any manufacturer that makes a drum separate from a drummer?
Regards. Keep us posted on the rules Barry, the taster in the War Chest look great.
Curassier
Jonathan
barr7430
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beating the hell out of drums!

Post by barr7430 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:15 pm

There is !

Redoubt Enterprises make separate drums for their ECW drummers. At a pinch an alternative which I've used many times is to take a sharp craft knife and cut the drum from a standard figure. The damaged cut area can be placed face down and packed under with milliput or similar thus concealing any damage.
A further alternative (extra value for money) is to then take the drum and split it with a diagonal cut. Place one half in a puddle or pool and it looks like a drum is semi submerged in the water. I used this on a piece I did for Duncan Mac years ago(It's on the cover of WI 105 along with some French Hussars which I didn't do). You then have another half drum left to do the trick all over again!

Let me know if you use the trick

Cheers

Barry
curassier
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Don't shoot the drummer boy

Post by curassier » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:36 pm

Very helpful - I will get onto Redoubt. I think some of their ECW officers could be useful additions although they will need better heads than the loose ones supplied which seem overly small and rather "flat". Thanks again. Curassier
Jonathan
Alpha
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Drums

Post by Alpha » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:01 am

Top 10 things to do with drums.except play them :)/Drums on diorama bases.
1) Place the drum upright on a command base and drape a bit of paper or cloth on top. This can be then painted to look like a map or a newspaper.
2) Place the drum in the ground in front of a base of figures. The enemy has seen your troops advancing and have routed leaving their drums.
3) Place the drum upright and balance muskets or pikse etc. against it. Camp scene!
3) Drape regimental colors over the drum...Drumhead mass! Preacher behind etc...
4) Sink the drum well into the groundwork on the base and have a sitting or standing figure put a foot on the drum. (Napoleon Foundry set :)
5) Put a bit card on top of the drum and paint a or photocopy a chessboard onto it. Two seated figure-playing chess (Barry did this in the Crimea project)
6) glue a bit paper to the skin on the drum and have it sticking out to look like a burst drum skin.
7) Have a figure falling over a drum wounded.
8) Have the drum being presented to an officer as a trophy of war. I'm doing this just now on my Austrian command base.
9) The drum as a seat. Have a figure sit on a drum.
10) And really struggling now.... have a figure playing it :)
David Imrie
PaulMc
Colonel
Colonel

RE: Drums

Post by PaulMc » Mon Mar 07, 2005 4:07 pm

Hi folks,

The Perry's have separately cast drums on their ECW range too. I would presume they do that for their other ranges as well. Only problem with Perry's figures is that they all look so wonderful, I have to force myself to stick to one period at a time.

Paul